Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rock Rails

View previous topic :: View next topic  
themajor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Rock Rails Reply with quote

If I were to build my own rockrails out of angle iron and bolt them to the body would I need to install rubber strips between the rails and body or not? 93 YJ
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rock Rails Reply with quote

themajor wrote:
If I were to build my own rockrails out of angle iron and bolt them to the body would I need to install rubber strips between the rails and body or not? 93 YJ

Are you talking about Rocker Guards (bolt onto rocker Panels) or Rock Sliders (attach to framer underneath body.

Since you said angle iron, I am assuming Rocker Guards. I've never heard of anyone using rubber and I didn't when I put mine on. The idea is to reinforce your rocker panels with the iron. Because you are drilling holes in the panel to attach the rocker (with bolts, washers and locknuts)you want to get that rocker guard and the rocker panel as close to each other as possible. This will help prevent rust from forming underneath your rocker guard. (Note: it might be a good idea once a year to pull the rocker guard off and treat any rust spots with some rust converter.)

After I drilled my holes I gave the panel a good coating of rusto, let it dry, and then bolted the rocker guard onto the panel.

I'm assuming that you are asking because you are concerned about the guard scratching up your rocker panel. You might as well accept the fact that it is going to scratch it up and move on. Besides, you have to drill holes in the panel anyway, so kiss resale goodbye (those holes are there to let water out Mr. Green ).

Anyway, good luck making your rockers, I know that Dan can make them, and I got mine from Zac at A to Z Fabrication.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
themajor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rust thing was what I was thinking. On the Gulf Coast it is bad. I thought the rubber would act as a gasket when the guard was bolted tight.
Thanks
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themajor wrote:
The rust thing was what I was thinking. On the Gulf Coast it is bad. I thought the rubber would act as a gasket when the guard was bolted tight.
Thanks

Your thinking is correct, but if water creeped in then the rubber could prevent it getting out, and then the rust would be worse.

RUSTO. It's the way to go. dancing banana

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company makes paint protectors specifically for rocker guards. I don't have experience with it though. I did like Qad and just painted mine.
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i've heard that tough stuff products works pretty well. when i put my PSC knockers on i used a sealant too. first drilled the holes, then primered them to keep the rust down (inside and outside of tub), then put on the sealant. i applied the sealant to the knocker itself - and not the tub. made it easier to ensure i had it on in the right place. solid bead across the top and then vertical lines coming straight down from that bead. theory in my head was that the upper bead would prevent any seepage from the top...and leaving no solid bead at the bottom would allow drainage and hopefully no water trappage that would cause rust down the road. the stuff i used was fully waterproof, stays slightly flexible, and has a 25 year guarantee for crumbling. it was grey in color with a metallic look to the stuff. basically - the stuff you use on your roof for sealing up the flashing around a chimney. as i tightened down the bolts i look to make sure the upper horizontal bead squeezed out across the top of the entire knocker - which told me that the top was sealed watertight. good luck.
chris
themajor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I saw somewhere 3M spray on rubberized coating that someone sprayed on their front bumper. I was thinking on spraying the inside of the Angle Iron where it contacts the body. 1. It would seal from the weather and 2. It would keep the steel off of the body.
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themajor wrote:
Somewhere I saw somewhere 3M spray on rubberized coating that someone sprayed on their front bumper. I was thinking on spraying the inside of the Angle Iron where it contacts the body. 1. It would seal from the weather and 2. It would keep the steel off of the body.

You can get rubberized undercoating at any parts store. It is designed to, well, coat the underside of your rig. Mr. Green My Brother in Law used is as tubliner (cheaper than rhino). The only thing is once it gets hot (i.e. direct sunlight) the stuff gets a little tacky and can wear off. So if it is hot and raining (it was like 90 degrees here today with direct sunlight AND raining (wierd huh? Mr. Green ) then you might have seepage.

If you are bound and determined to do this, and you don't want to go with the spray painting route that Troy and I did (Which is wicked easy), then the only thing I can reccomend is to use some silicone (i.e RTV) and make yourself a HUGE gasket that will cover all the corners of your rockers.

Back from the Dead??
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a link for that rubberized coating writeup.

If you want to get a gasket tuffstuffproducts makes them just for that. Im sure that was mentioned earlier as well. Wink
themajor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the article I saw!! Thanks Kizer guy, do you have a homepage or website??? huh, doya??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: