Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you remove the front sway bolts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrab3 wrote:
WELL CRAP, THAT IS THE POINT IM AT NOW :-(

I snapped all 4 upper bolts. I seen a write up on cutting thru the floor, just im concerned if I change shocks again what a pain in the butt that will be.

Breaking shock bolts is pretty typical. Phantum and I have done two XJ lifts and three bolts snapped each time. Best thing we found is to drill out the holes, tap a size larger and install bar pin eliminators, the BPE's make it a heck of allot easier when it's time to replace shocks.

Check out drake69's write up on his 3" skyjacker install, it has the details of the rear shocks, good luck:

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1904
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

majikxms wrote:
ecrab3 wrote:
WELL CRAP, THAT IS THE POINT IM AT NOW :-(

I snapped all 4 upper bolts. I seen a write up on cutting thru the floor, just im concerned if I change shocks again what a pain in the butt that will be.

Breaking shock bolts is pretty typical. Phantum and I have done two XJ lifts and three bolts snapped each time. Best thing we found is to drill out the holes, tap a size larger and install bar pin eliminators, the BPE's make it a heck of allot easier when it's time to replace shocks.

Check out drake69's write up on his 3" skyjacker install, it has the details of the rear shocks, good luck:

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1904

Yup, majikxms is right. When you get done cursing the snapped bolts, bore and re-tap the broken bits out, then put in BPE's. That way, you'll have a MUCH easier time swapping out shocks should the need arise.

The BPE's extend the length of the shock about an inch, and they allow for much greater flexibility installing and removing the shocks. You will need four BPE's to do it right, two for the front shocks (which go in the bottom, right by the coil spring base), and two more for the back (up top where the bolts broke, obviously). The front BPE's may require a little bit of grinding on the edge to get them to fit in, but will save you loads of time and headache when you want to go to larger shocks. There are also BPE's for the front-top shocks which are also a time-saver, so you might want to consider getting those as well.

NOTE: when you do get the front BPE's for the top-part of the shock, you need to get REAR shocks for them, since the center-pin goes in horizontal, like the bottom part of the shock.

good mod

jamesvp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang eddie, you should have called me I could have helped you snap those bolts Very Happy
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie has been trying to do his lift all stealth like but he has called me almost everyday he has wrenched with a new question...

Oh yeah. Eddie . A little late but I found the spring compressors.. rofl

I have some taps give me a shout if thats what you want to do..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've see the write up on cutting through the deck to get to the mounts...but it's much easier to just drill and retap them to 3/8 (not that it's easy, it really a PITA...but cutting through the deck to get to them is just way more work than is necessary). On Drake69's, we bolted in BPE's, but on mine I just installed the shocks and used anti-seize compound on the new bolts.

Corey did a writeup on drilling and tapping them out, he used rubber cement instead of anti-seize, which will keep them from rusting up as well.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I will definitely do the cement deal, makes lots of sense.

I need to get better bitts, the ones I have are doing nothing, well the cordless drills arent much help either, so I carried on and finished the rest of the lift minus the rear shocks. I tried to roll it this evening but something is hanging up. I think the emergency brake is biting...? Not sure, was getting late after the brake bleeding and finding new leaks, so I stopped for the night. Maybe I installed the front brakes wrong? Who knows, im just pooped....whew

ON the rear bpes, im not sure im gonna go that route, im thinking that im gonna move my lower shock mounts higher on the axle tube to avoid getting snagged. I just need to look it over and see if I can reuse the lower hannger after cutting it off. ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: