Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of newb questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lugnuts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Couple of newb questions Reply with quote

Hello all! New to the boards and have a few newb questions for you all.

I currently have a 99' XJ (Wife) and a 01' XJ (mine). Both are currently stock in all regards. I want to do a mild buildup of one of them. The other will be used for a trade in on a 05' Unlimited Rubicon w/manual. (Seen a bunch of them around town and in testing up at the Silverdome, and they look nice!)

I have read alot of the information that 00+ XJ have issues when attempting even a mild (<3") lift. Is this correct? If so, I may lean towards modifying the 99'.

I want to put in a lift on one of these to have a weekday car, and weekend toy all in one. I am sure that it will see 70+% road use. My intent is to lift the XJ approx. 3" and attempt to maintain/improve ride quality. I have looked at the OME kits, but I wanted to see if there is a kit or combo that would save a little money but maintain the ride.

Also, I have went through the 99' doing a full tune-up. I have ran into a parts snag and also wanted some opinions. The parts that I have read work well on the std. 4.0 are:

180 or 195 degree thermostat, rather than the 205. Is this recommended?

Considering putting on Splitfire TP98E plugs and Accel 8.8 Wires. Opinioins? Recommendations?

For these parts I have had the hardest time finding them.. Odd, but true. Especially odd considering that I live in the Motor City.. If you know a vendor, online or otherwise, that might stock these, please let me know.

Thanks for any responses!
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of newb questions Reply with quote

Lugnuts wrote:
Hello all! New to the boards and have a few newb questions for you all.

I currently have a 99' XJ (Wife) and a 01' XJ (mine). Both are currently stock in all regards. I want to do a mild buildup of one of them. The other will be used for a trade in on a 05' Unlimited Rubicon w/manual. (Seen a bunch of them around town and in testing up at the Silverdome, and they look nice!)

I have read alot of the information that 00+ XJ have issues when attempting even a mild (<3") lift. Is this correct? If so, I may lean towards modifying the 99'.

I want to put in a lift on one of these to have a weekday car, and weekend toy all in one. I am sure that it will see 70+% road use. My intent is to lift the XJ approx. 3" and attempt to maintain/improve ride quality. I have looked at the OME kits, but I wanted to see if there is a kit or combo that would save a little money but maintain the ride.

Also, I have went through the 99' doing a full tune-up. I have ran into a parts snag and also wanted some opinions. The parts that I have read work well on the std. 4.0 are:

Considering putting on Splitfire TP98E plugs and Accel 8.8 Wires. Opinioins? Recommendations?

For these parts I have had the hardest time finding them.. Odd, but true. Especially odd considering that I live in the Motor City.. If you know a vendor, online or otherwise, that might stock these, please let me know.

Thanks for any responses!

For future reference; are the Jeeps similar? Both have 4.0L, etc? Does either one have Trac Lock? You said that they are stock, but would one have better options over the other? Both 4 doors?

For the thermostat I used a 160 in my '94 4.0L. It's in a YJ, but it should basically be the same engine.

As far as vendors go, it kind of depends what you want. Quadratec and 4WD parts probably have the best selection, so find what you want there and then search other sites or just Google it.

Steve aka thephantum can definately answer your XJ questions, he'll be back in a few days. I know he has lifted about 3 XJ's and migh provide some insight. I think that Drake69 has done some work with steve too, try PMing them.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 99 XJ I did a Rubicon Express 3" lift with OME shocks. It is very nice and rides wonderful. I did a write up on it if you want to check it out in the Write Ups/Reviews. I think that 00+ XJ's had 4 coils instead of 2coil/2leaf so its up to you whick suspension you what to mess with. I personally prefer 4 coils over 2/2 but thats neither here nor there.....
So - I would also recomend the transfer case drop, because your driveshaft more than likely will vibrate your teeth out. Axle shims are a waste of time with a 3" lift ....trust me.
Good luck on the motor. The 4.0 is very strong and no matter what you do to it, Im sure its better than stock.
Laterz- CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Y2K-XJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2000 I am running about 4.75" on mostly stock parts(controll arms,Track bar) No SYE. I did do a 5/8" Transfer case drop & 1.25" lift shackles in rear W/ a 3.5" Add A Leaf and have had absolutely no problems... Front set up is a little bit sagging 4.5" coils w/1.75" spacers..

All jeeps are different though !

A lot of people dont believe that Im running a 4.75" with no Harsh vibes etc..
But also the tires Im planning for Im not gonna feel driveline vibes anyway Mr. Green (32X10.50x15 SS Radial TSL's)

I wouldn't worry about problems lifting either one,the 99 or the 2k if your just gonna do a 3" lift..(I recommend Rubicon Express on that one)

Thermostat= use the 195 degree, Period end of story..

And as far as wires I wouldn't know I dont have any. rofl LOL
seriously though..
I have had good luck using the MSD 10mm wires Mr. Green .. The kind you have to cut and make yourself.(not that hard) and Bosch Platinum +4's for Plugs... I noticed a lot more Power..
Im currently working on a Ram Air intake system for Newer XJ's. Keep an eye out on here in the next few months!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of newb questions Reply with quote

00 and 01 XJ's can have more issues when lifting than the older models...but not always. The problem is the differences in the front D30 axle. 00's and up use a low pinion version (as opposed to the high pinion version that came with 99 and earlier models) which can cause driveline vibes at lower lift levels. This does not necessarily mean that you will have problems though. Plus, if you are going to approximatley 3", you should be able to remedy any vibes with a 1" t-case drop (BTW Corey, all XJ's have front coils and rear leaf's...)

As far as lift kits go, my own recommendation is to go OME. We run the OME 2.5" kit in our TJ and the onroad ride is BETTER then stock. I've never heard a bad thing about the XJ kits either.

(Watch out, I'm about to kill two birds with one stone...). Give Dirk over a DPG Offroad a call. He currently has a pretty good deal on OME 2" and 3" kits for XJ's. ==>Clicky. He also offers a lot of other parts for XJ's and he knows how to treat his customers...he won't steer you wrong. As far as other options Rubicon Express is always an excellent choice. Here's Corey's writeup on the RE 3.5" install. Skyjacker is another route to go, but I have heard some complain that the ride is too stiff...it's really a matter of personal preference though. Here's Drake69's writeup on the Skyjacker 3" option.

Now, onto the thermostat...run the 195, here's why: The 4.0 is designed to run at around 210. If you run the 180, when you are on the highway the engine is going to run between 180 and 190. The computer will therefore think that the engine is still warming up and run it rich...so your MPG's will go down. If you are interested in running cooler when offroad, look into installing an override for the aux fan. Try this writeup for starters. I saw a better writeup than that someplace...I'll try to dig it out.

Finally, IMHO splitfires are a waste of money in any vehicle...much less a Jeep. They are a bitch to gap correctly and show absolutley no performance gains. I learned this using them in a Hi-perf Chevy 350 engine with some pretty significant ignition upgrades. The best performing plug I found was an AC Delco...the stock one for the engine... Stick with some straight up Champion truck plugs for the 4.0L. Accel or MSD wires would not hurt anything though and will probably help maximize the spark that gets to the plug, as well as last a little longer too.

I think I covered it all... Mr. Green

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda glossed over parts places, didn't I? What kind of stuff are you looking for? Mods or just straight replacement parts?

In the mod department, I already mentioned Dirk at http://www.DPGOffroaad.com. Also try:
http://www.4x4rockshop.com - I've bought a bunch of stuff from Mike over there.
http://www.4wd.com (4WD Hardware as Qad mentioned)
http://www.quadratec.com (Quadratec - also as Qad mentioned)
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com - I've bought a couple of things from there

For straight up replacement parts, usually local parts chains (NAPA, Advance, etc) are the best bet. If you have a "Mom and Pop" type place skip the chains and go to them...I've found that once they get to know you they will bend over backwards to get a part for ya. You could also try some of the above links, do a little digging over on google, or try http://www.jegs.com. They are more an online speed shop though...

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of newb questions Reply with quote

Lugnuts wrote:

All XJ's act differently, even ones of the same year. I would imagine it all depends on how well their kept, prior to modifying them. If you've kept up with routine maintenance, tire-rotations, etc..., then I would expect them to be very versatile. If you didn't follow normal upkeep, then expect problems later down the line (my $1.02, after inflation...)

Lugnuts wrote:
My intent is to lift the XJ approx. 3" and attempt to maintain/improve ride quality. I have looked at the OME kits, but I wanted to see if there is a kit or combo that would save a little money but maintain the ride.

My Skyjacker is stiff, which is excatly how I like it. I'm not a fan of "floaty" movement, and the Skyjacker feels tight and snug to the road. I do, however, feel more bumps in the road and stuff, but after owning and riding in Jeeps for so many years, I don't really notice them all that much... Wink

Lugnuts wrote:

Yes, just like phantum said, 195 deg. is optimal for your needs...

Lugnuts wrote:
Considering putting on Splitfire TP98E plugs and Accel 8.8 Wires. Opinions? Recommendations?

Fancy ignition wires don't mean a thing. Keeping good spark plugs in your motor will be far more advantagous than any after-market wiring you add on. BTW, I run Borsh Platinums as well.

I'm considering air-intake possibilities now, and as such am looking at throttle-bodies, spacers, hi-perf. air filters, etc. Since I was "forced" into replacing my factory muffler with a Flowmaster 50 (the old one had a hole through the bottom, and the sales guy had one two-weeks old some grocery-mom returned off of a Grand that "made too much noise". Best $60-installed idea I ever had... rofl ), I want to open up the air-intake from the front end to take advantage of it.

Well, that's about it. Just follow phantum's links, and you'll be in good hands.

Lugnuts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to chime in again and tell all of you thanks for the help and opinions. Experience is everything!

Also, I will try and be more specific next time, or dont put a post in while at work and talking to the boss at the same time. Embarassed

Thanks!! I will post when I am done.

By the way qadhafi, I wanted to congratulate you! I printed off a blown up pic of your jeep with the H2 Recovery Team banner. I pinned it up over the printer. The H2 team designers are a couple of rows over and grumbled over it pretty good. Made me smile. Oh, and if you think that abortion of a vehicle is ugly, wait till you see the new H2 Truck! Lovely...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: