Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to Upgrade Front D30

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade Front D30 Reply with quote

I did a number on BlueJ's front axleshaft last weekend - broke the inner in two places and the u-joint also. I'm pretty sure I fried my LockRight also, will be opening it up this weekend to be sure. By the way, I'm running 35" Krawlers on my 2001 TJ, 4.56 gears, detroit in rear and LockRight up front.

As part of my repairs, I'm looking ot upgrade to some kind of hardened alloy or chromoly inners and outers, and replacing the LockRight.

I'd like to go with a detroit in front, but that would require a Warn hub kit, and the paid would be about $1,200 before getting to the axleshafts. I don't have that much money lying around right now.

So, what you you all recommend? I'm thinking Superior's Evolution Series assembled inner, outer, and u-joint. I think they call it "High Alloy", how does that compare to chromoly? Or should I get the inners and outers separately and join them with those rebuildable u-joints ("C-something-something" sorry brain freeze!) instead of the Spicer 297X's?

Without an axle or hub change, I think I'm left with replacing the lunchbox locker only. Anyone have experience with the Aussie Locker? I've heard some good things and it's cheaper than a new LockRight?

Anything I haven't considered?

Thanks!
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered an HP30 housing from a Cherokee? It should get the front end of the driveshaft high enough that you'll protect it a bit more. Also, you can set the caster better without compromising on front driveshaft angles.
Crazy TJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch......bad Andrew! Mr. Green I am running the 4340 alloy shafts up front with the fake ctm u joints(instead of needle bearings they are bored out and replaced with a brass bushing). I am runnin 37" MTR's with a lockrite and havent broken them in the couple times I was out with them so far runnin some pretty hard stuff.......probably shouldnt have said that Confused . They were around $775. Good luck. If you choose the other route, I have 2 Cherokee HP 30's laying around.
Crazy
BlueJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks for the input. WHile switching to HP is tempting, I'm not looking to do that kind of work right now. I decided to upgrade to the Evolution Series (whatever that is!) alloy from q'tec, about $690, plus a new Aussie locker (the LockRight is probably salvageable with new pins and springs, but what the heck). Topping it off with a Crane High Clearance chromoly diff cover (to match my D44 rear). This will take me to over $1,000, so I'm stopping there for now...

Thanks for your input!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you doing with the lock right??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BlueJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
What you doing with the lock right??

Sorry, already arranged to trade it for other jeep parts...

Very Happy
BlueJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Fixing BlueJ Reply with quote

BlueJ is all fixed and ready to crawl. Here's my weekend's activities:

Saturday: Put front axle up on jackstands, pull off tires. Removed brake calipers. Tried to remove rotor - one came off easily, the other was rusted to the hub, came off in one piece. Removed other rotor. Took out tie rod end (to get tie rod away from front of diff). Opened up diff cover, drained gear oil (1/2 over driveway!). Examined LockRight, looked like it was still engaged. Pulled both axle shafts. Removed straps over bearing races. Attempted to extract diff carrier, with no luck (my kid "borrowed" the hammer, could not find it anywhere).

Sunday: Ran to Sear to buy larger prybar and BFH. About 10 taps later, carrier is out of housing. Took housing up to a friend's house, looked at locker. Remove ring gear (all the bolts were finger loose!) All four pins were sheared off in middle , with the tops turned sideways, so that the locker couldn't disengage. Some of the springs were bent too. We ended up using a grinder to break up the pin ends so that we could get the lockright out, then inserted new Aussie locker. Put the ring gear back on with 10 new bolts and lock-tite.

Monday: Inserted carrier back into housing, took only a few knocks with the BFH (using a wood block). Inserted new Evolution Series CroMo axle shafts. Separated rotor from hub using PB Blaster and BFH. Put hubs back on, then rotors and calipers. Put old diff cover and diff guard on (new Crane cover did not arrive in time), poured in 1 1/2 qts of gear oil, re-attached tie rod, put on tires, and lowered off jackstands. No parts leftover!

Took it for a ride, felt pretty good. Aussie clicks louder than the LockRight, but no big deal. Need to bleed the brakes (left over from broken brake line same day that I broke the axleshaft), but everything in good shape.

What can I break/upgrade next?

Twisted Evil
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing BlueJ Reply with quote

BlueJ wrote:
Removed straps over bearing races. Attempted to extract diff carrier, with no luck (my kid "borrowed" the hammer, could not find it anywhere).

Sunday: Ran to Sear to buy larger prybar and BFH. About 10 taps later, carrier is out of housing.

Just another tip for removing the carrier from the axle. Put a combination wrench on one of the ring gear bolts and then turn the driveshaft. It'll pop right out.

Every time I do this, I turn it the wrong way first. You'll figure out which is the right way to turn the driveshaft...it'll pop out easily.
ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy TJ wrote:
Ouch......bad Andrew! Mr. Green I am running the 4340 alloy shafts up front with the fake ctm u joints(instead of needle bearings they are bored out and replaced with a brass bushing). I am runnin 37" MTR's with a lockrite and havent broken them in the couple times I was out with them so far runnin some pretty hard stuff.......probably shouldnt have said that Confused . They were around $775. Good luck. If you choose the other route, I have 2 Cherokee HP 30's laying around.
Crazy

hey Crazy, I am doing some research on strengthening my HP30. IM not super familiar with all of the axle stuff, im still new to serioulsy modifying my XJ.

Tell me more about your new 4340 axles and the ctm like joints. Is this as good as making your 30 bulletproof? My specs are hp30 in a 97 XJ, open front and rear and pushing 33" SS tsls. Stock front driveshaft, high angle driveline brand shaft in the rear. My goal is to not bust my stock stuff up everytime I go out and wheel. every other time is ok but I want confidence in my front end that its not gonna snap right away and leave me starnded.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: