Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering upgrade options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Steering upgrade options Reply with quote

So it's time to start planning some steering upgrades on both Jeeps, but I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to do. Here are my options as I see them and listed in order of cost:

V8 ZJ Tierod
Advantages: Stronger tie rod, sleeve and ends, parts are fairly inexpensive
Disadvantages: Uses stock drag link as well as stock Y design

Rusty's Tie Rod conversion
Advantages: Stronger components (ends?), wheel to wheel design
Disadvantages: um...it's Rusty's *cough*crap*cough*, $240 per (that would be x2, so $480)

Poison Spyder System
Advantages: Stronger components
Disadvantages: Uses the stock drag link (although it does have a gusset that welds on to the elbow), stock Y design, $250 per

Currie Steering System
Advantages: Stronger components across the board
Disadvantages: Stock Y design and I'd have to break the bank to buy 2 of 'em, the damn kits are almost $400 apeice.

All the other options I've seen are stronger tie rods that use the stock ends and draglink. Confused

I'm thinking about going with the ZJ conversion and fab up (or get fabbed up) a gusset to weld on the the drag link to beef up the elbow a little (similar to what the Poison System does)...the problem is that still uses the stock design.

'drack or Black2001TJ, you guys run the Rusty's system right? Does it use the stock ends or are they a beefier part? How does the steering feel? Yada, yada, yada? If all the components are stonger and it handles well I might go that route. My only trepidation is that it's Rusty's...but I do like the wheel to wheel design.

Anyone have any other suggestions/options?

TIA

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at my various options and I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure you can buy the gusset seperate from PSC if you end up keeping the OEM drag link. I've been looking at this - not a bad price for what you get including the tie rod over the knuckle.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troy. I was thinking about doing a tie rod over knuckle. The problem (in relation to the XJ) is that I'm not sure how the geometry of a system like that is going to be affected when I eventually lift it another 4"-6". I would hate to have to rip it out and start over. I have to read up on that one...if I can build into that system and have it grow with the Jeep it'll work.

But I might be able to do the full setup in the TJ now, since it will probably stay at the suspension height it is now (might add a 1" BL at some point).

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Black Keith's writeup on the Rusty's kit he installed.

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=786

I was very interested until I heard from about 3-4 others who've had major problems with their Rusty's kit and wished they'd spent more money on Currie's kit. I just don't like the stock Y-design and wish Currie wouldn't went with a T-setup.
Jeepfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just get some heavy wall tubing and put heims or some other end of you choice on it. Then go from the pitman arm to the top of your passenger side nuckle. Then using a long 3/4" grade 8 bolt you can go through your top heim then through the nuckle and then you can attach your new tie rod to the bottom of the nuckle and run it over to the bottom of your driver side nuckle. I hope that makes sence. You can go to www.geocities.com/jeepinjason200 and check out the picture of my stearing. We used 1.5" outer diameter tubing with 1/4" walls. I dont think I'll ever bend it even with the hydraulic assist. Now I know that I have a front 44 and also a high top stearnig nuckle but you can get the general idea if my draglink went to wear my tie rod is attached and the tie rod were flipped to be on the bottom. We did do this to a stock 30 on a guys jeep I know and it turned out really well. You can even bounce off of it and not have to worry anymore. Doing it this way is probably way cheaper than anything you can just outright bye and it will be incomparibly stronger. If you have any questions just let me know I'll try to awnser them but I'll be out of town untill Sunday evening. I know its not a very good pic of the stearing so if you want a better pic just let me know and I'll try to get a pic of the stock 30 we did.

quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics of that setup on a stock 30 would be awesome - i know i'd greatly appreciate it! (i've bent the stock tj tierod twice, then the zj's heavier one twice as well...just need a final fix!)
chris
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bent the ZJ upgrade...actually, the draglink went and the force of it took the one TRE with it. It woulda been better if I had upgraded the draglink at the same time, but I only replaced what was broken and didn't use and foresight into anticipating the OEM draglink failure. Live and learn Smile . I grabbed a Rusty's too. I'm happy with it, no probs and like Erik said, I think it's better laid out than the OEM setup. Real easy to adjust as well. No problems with mine and I was rather hesitant based on all the internet reports of poor product quality, but I figured I'd give it a try for the cash. So far no regrets Smile .
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another option I forgot about earlier. I've seen it in person....BEEA-UUU-TII-FUL. I'm just curious what the cost is going to be. ORO's products are almost always on the pricey side.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538400
Jeepfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get a pic of the 30 tomorrow and put it on my website. It'll probably be pretty late when I get it on there though.

Jeepfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok finally got the pics of the stock 30 with the steering setup on my website. I aplogize that it took so long I know I was supposed to have in on there last weekend. Anyway, go to www.geocities.com/jeepinjason200 and then go to steering pics. There you can see how it is all setup. If you have any questions about it just let me know.

Jeepfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot I talked to my friend who built this and he said that if anyone wanted it and didn't want to mess with fabbing it up themselves then he could make it for $175 for just the tubing and adapters and you supply the heims or $325 and he will get the heims as well. Of course you will still have to drill out the steering nuckles and pitman arm so the new hardware will go through them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: