Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got stuck today doing a bit of light mudding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Got stuck today doing a bit of light mudding Reply with quote

So this place around where I live that is essentially a half acre of pure dirt which goes from the road and elevates to a hill into the forest, the only place I've taken the Rubicon so far, today it was very wet. It's been raining a lot in Texas so there is quite a bit of mud.

I went out there after work and went into 4H, climbed the hill and such, took on some holes, etc.

I came to this one very large hole as I was about to descend the hill again, which was about two feet deep on the right side, and appeared about a foot deep on the left. It was something like 15 feet wide. The dropoff was steeper than the hole since I was above it.

The stupid thing was that I did not throw it into 4 Low, or lock the axles(though the latter would seem to be more than was necessary), as I was not really thinking at the time.

I got in there fine, got the front side up fine, then... my rear left wheel jammed in what turned out to be a much-deeper-than-one-foot hole, which had been hidden by some very light mud that covered it.

So here I am out on this hill and stuck and I run my mind through all the things I can do.

I think of the proper looking fellow on the Jeep video that I must have watched 50 times and how he says "turn the steering wheel to gain traction" and then at some point he says you can use floormats.

I do the first but am wary to put my floormats down there since I might never see them again(or, looking the same) if they get whipped down into the slurry.

I ended up just going and finding a guy I know who owns a business that has a few of those construction tractor bulldozer things, and he pulled me out with a chain. Thank God for tow hooks.

Anyway just thought this was interesting. Sorry, didn't have the camera then. Was so tired that I didn't even go to the gym and just fell asleep listening to Savage and woke up at 3:45, decided to post this.

Should I(or is it good to) use 4L or even lock the axles going into a hole that might be deeper or more greasy than it appears? 4L I would take as a yes, and I will next time, but the axle locking... hm.

Also, I'm considering just never using a rear seat since I've had it out and liked it out, and maybe putting a storage box in after I have some money by the fall.

G'day.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you have been in 4L...probably. Should you have been locked...probably not. I think the real lesson here is not to wheel alone. It's always a good bet to have at least one other vehicle with you. That way, if you do get stuck you've got someone there to help get you recovered.

A worst case scenario would be getting stuck, rolling, etc...and getting seriously injured in the process. If you are alone in that situation, yer pretty much fooked.

My $0.02

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Should you have been in 4L...probably. Should you have been locked...probably not. I think the real lesson here is not to wheel alone. It's always a good bet to have at least one other vehicle with you. That way, if you do get stuck you've got someone there to help get you recovered.

A worst case scenario would be getting stuck, rolling, etc...and getting seriously injured in the process. If you are alone in that situation, yer pretty much fooked.

My $0.02

Steve

Thanks for the reply, well this isn't a very steep hill, and it is very close to this man's business. I know the guy very well so that if I ever was stuck again I could get the help though I would not want to be.

I understand about wheelin alone however this isn't that big of a place and the likelihood of me getting stuck is very little. I still am shocked I even got stuck.

Thanks.
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When wheeling in mud, I'm usually in 4H to keep the tires spinning a little faster for clearing the tread. This always gave me a "cleaner" bite the next revolution.
Since the hole was deeper than you thought, check the fluids in the diffs, xfer, and tranny to make sure you didn't get any water in them.

Chuck

ps: we've only gotten a "little" rain here. rofl
Marlin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx Outlaw wrote:
When wheeling in mud, I'm usually in 4H to keep the tires spinning a little faster for clearing the tread. This always gave me a "cleaner" bite the next revolution.
Since the hole was deeper than you thought, check the fluids in the diffs, xfer, and tranny to make sure you didn't get any water in them.

Chuck

ps: we've only gotten a "little" rain here. rofl

Yeah Allison was worse.

But there wasn't a ton of water here. It was just a hole that formed due to the loose mud and a bit of water.

The underside of the Jeep got stuck, the skidplate was resting on the edge of the hole. No water in the tranny.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeling in mudd is no fun.. I never do it...

rofl rofl rofl

Ok... Im a liar... I think you should have been locked.. What could it hurt..

Did you at least lock up after you realized it was deeper than you thougt??

I really hope you say yes.. Neutral

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Got stuck today doing a bit of light mudding Reply with quote

Marlin wrote:
The stupid thing was that I did not throw it into 4 Low, or lock the axles(though the latter would seem to be more than was necessary), as I was not really thinking at the time.

Marlin wrote:

I think of the proper looking fellow on the Jeep video that I must have watched 50 times and how he says "turn the steering wheel to gain traction" and then at some point he says you can use floormats.

Cartman wrote:
I AM SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW

but I refuse to take your bait.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Wheeling in mudd is no fun.. I never do it...

rofl rofl rofl

Ok... Im a liar... I think you should have been locked.. What could it hurt..

Did you at least lock up after you realized it was deeper than you thougt??

I really hope you say yes.. Neutral

Well I tried to lock up as she was trying to slide up out of the hole but by the time I had forced up there I just had realized it was that deep and it would not let me lock up as I was in 4H.

I tried to shift to 4L as I was sliding around but I could not and thus no lockers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: