Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal Wheel Back Spacing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Ideal Wheel Back Spacing Reply with quote

Going to start shopping for tires and wheels this week. Will be running 35" Mud TA's on 8" wheels. Not really set on a particular style of wheel because rocks beat up the cheap ones as easily as the pricey ones. Any ideas on back spacing? What is ideal for 35's with 4.5" suspension lift?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how far out you want it to stick out. What kind of rig are they going on??
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule you do not want to go lower than 3.75" of backspace. Any lower will put too much pressure on on the wheel bearings. Usually 4" or 4.5" is a good bet, but it also depends on how wide the tires will be.

Aside from the rig they are going on (based on the lift I assume it's either a CJ, YJ or TJ), what axles will they be running on?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally recommend 4"-5". The higher the backspacing, the more tucked in the wheels and tires will be. Lower the backspacing, more they stick out.
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Ideal Wheel Back Spacing Reply with quote

The vehicle is a 98 TJ with RE4.5" Super Flex and 1" BL. Factory 44 in the rear. 44 upfront with the original TJ outers. Tires are 35x12.50-15. I don't want the tires sticking out too far... I know the bearing load is a concern but I want to be able make tight turns with minimal tire rub. I don't think the tires will rub in the rear with 8"wheels even at 10 psi. Thanks for all the input.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Erik's recommendation. 4.5" of backspace would do nicely.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Go with Erik's recommendation. 4.5" of backspace would do nicely.

Actually I said 4" to 5" but my real recommendation is 4.5". That's what I run and it's worked perfectly. I give the range b/c all wheels aren't available in exactly 4.5". Some are 4 7/16", 4 1/4", 4 9/16" and so on.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party here and ya prolly coulda forged your own wheels in your basement by now Mr. Green , but I'm running a setup that gives me 4.25" bs and combined with the Sahara width flares, it works great for my 35's. I'm running 4" Tera coils that a chum of mine swung a deal for and a 1" body lift. The tires themeselves barely stick out beyond the flares to boot which keeps the legal reprocussions to a minimal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: