Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front brake problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrab3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: front brake problem Reply with quote

Ok, I replaced my seized front calipers with reman ones from Autozone. Installed new pads and switched over to the synthetic fluid.

The prob im having is the front brakes are biting and wont back off. I havent done this before, and seemed there isnt anything hard about it, but is there a step I forgot wqhen installing new calipers? Im thinking tomorrow I will remove the rotors and have the caliper pistons extend way out and I will push them back in incase they need to "stretch out" a bit. What do yall think?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not have to "stretch out" the calipers.

Did you replace the rotors as well? The reason I ask is because I know that AutoZone lists the wrong ones for 97+ XJ's. They will fit over the hubs but they are incorrect. If you replaced them and got them from AutoZone, I'll bet this is your problem.

If you did not replace the rotors the next question is...when you installed the calipers, how snuggly did the assembly fit over the rotors?

If they fit over fairly loose and applying the brakes brought the pads in contact with the rotors then it sounds like the residual pressure is causing the pads to drag on the rotors (residual pressure comes from valves at the master cylinder and keeps a minimal amount of pressure on the system to prevent the brakes from backing off too much when they are not being applied). This indicates that there is something different about the internal workings/valving of the calipers. Since AutoZones system lists the wrong rotors, it would not surprise me that they list the incorrect calipers as well.

If they fit over the rotors too tightly (and they are defintley the correct rotors) then that would be the problem...meaning that, again, the calipers are the incorrect ones.

Also, when you switched to synthetic fluid, is it DOT 3, 4 or 5? Stock is DOT 3 and if you make a switch to DOT 4 or 5 you need to flush the entire system out. I'm not sure if it would affect the resdiuals....but the different types can react badly with each other and will corrode your brake system.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. That kinda helps. I didnt replace the rotors. I remember looking and comparing the calipers when I swapped them out, though im sure subtle differences to the untrained eye (me) get past me easily. I hope they are not wrong. The calipers were kinda snug, though im not really sure how much to tighten on the bolts that snug onto the inside pads. Maybe I did it too much or not enough. I noticed when I tightend them on the hard side that the lower tab on the brake pad starts to go beyond the knuckle. In otherwords, its not seating right.

On the fluid, it said on the bottle that it mixes with conventional fluids....I hope and when I bled the system, I did it till it ran clear.

I will take it apart tonight and see whats the deal, I will put the old pads on and see if the thinner pads help.

Keep em coming!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the fluid, it's not a matter of conventional vs. synthetic...it's a matter of the DOT specification. I don't wanna go into a long explanation here so the main difference between the them are the boiling points of each type and that DOT 3 & 4 will absorb water since it is glycol based and DOT 5 will not since it is silicon based (the ability to absorb or not absorb water will affect the boiling point).

So, regardless of whether it's synthetic or convential, it should be DOT 3.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I understand. IT says DOT 4.

Well im not sure whats up with the calipers...I messed with them some more tonight, got mad and went to autozone for replacements and my luck all of the stores around here are out, but I do alot of driving so I will have another chance tomorrow to check out autozones a 100 miles from here. Im still sure im doing something wrong....im just feeling aggrevated. Oh yeah, my alarm starter kill isnt letting me start the truck up either now. IM am so tired.

nigh night
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had it happen before too. Keep in mind they are after market pads and rotor!! Meaning they have to be differant from OE or Chrysler can sue them, because they have the copyright!!! Sometimes I have noticed they are thicker and will rub until you drive it some. Mine did it on the wifes car, drove it for a little while and it stopped. If it is really bad then I would try new ones from Auto Zone, maybe you just got a bad set?? I just got a Reman Master Cylinder from them, JUNK!! Wouldn't push the fluid, tried bleeding it and it just sat there, no fluid in the lines or trying to move. Had to take it back and get one from Federated. Of course like you no one around had one, but Richmond, like a 2 hour drive, ah no thanks! pissed
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go into a long explanation of brake fluid. Wink
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2069
ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I hope I didnt F anything up by changing my fluids..........I was going by a recommendation by a intelligent friend....
ecrab3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

HAd a freidn come over, Swampy, and he noticed that I dont have the caliper pin bushings or sleeves that go inside the rubber boots on the calipers Evil or Very Mad

I left the old ones on the originals as a core swap and thye are long gone . So next step is hit a Jeep parts dealer or hit a junkyard. I hope to do this soon, but it wont be soon enough.

Learn from my mistake yall
Atleast that is the prob on that, next is my ignition now.....I'll start a new thread for that
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That swampy sounds like a really good friend.. Very Happy Very Happy too funny too funny thumbs

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
That swampy sounds like a really good friend.. Very Happy Very Happy too funny too funny thumbs

Yeah he does sound like a good friend, but I hope you didn't have any power tools laying around your XJ. He has this habit of removing what he would refer to as "Excess Sheetmetal." eeek

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you lock up the sawzall and the angle grinder when he's around...otherwise your Jeep is gonna weigh a little less by the time he leaves. Shocked

Finger rofl

Did ya get the brakes squared away yet?

Quote:
ecrab3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM sorry for not keeping yall in the loop. Yes! the brakes are fixed rofl

It was the lack of the missing caliper bolt bushings. I got some off of a Dodge Caravan and all is good and tight in the world again.

Let that be a leson learned due to my hastyness.

Next on the list is to drill out my broken rear shock upper bolts....I still havent messed with that yet Rolling Eyes

and install my SYE this weekend and p/u my 33s

and and and
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrab3 wrote:
and and and

Hey that sounds familiar. Wink
Glad you got it all worked out.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrab3 wrote:
Next on the list is to drill out my broken rear shock upper bolts....

Actually, that sounds familiar too. It's just a PITA to do. Make sure you use anti-seize on the new bolts...or use Corey's idea of Rubber Cement, it's cheaper and you can also use it to make cool little paper animals too. rofl

He did a writeup on fixing the little bastards. You can find that writeup here.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: