Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Jacks, anybody ever used them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Air Jacks, anybody ever used them? Reply with quote

In my recent Land Rover Studies I've been introduced to the concept of Air Jacks. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used one. They are supposed to be pretty rare in the US, but are very popular in the UK and Africa.

This is basically a very sturdy rubberised 'bag' which is attached to the exhaust tailpipe. The exhaust gas is then used to inflate the bag, lifting the vehicle in the process. The airjack can be used practically anywhere underneath the vehicle, lifting the front, the rear or the side. When placing the airjack under the vehicle, care must be taken to ensure that the bag doesn't come into contact with the hot exhaust system or any sharp protrustions under the vehicle however, otherwise punctures will be caused.
The use of carpet or matting both above and below the jack is a good idea; the carpet underneath will help to stop it sliding on the mud, and the carpet above will help to stop it getting punctured.
Also, always make sure the diff-lock is engaged and the vehicle has appropriate chocks both behind and in front of the relevant wheels if using the air jack to lift the vehicle on solid ground.

With practice, the airjack can be used in a similar way to a Hi-Lift jack. It can be used to lift the vehicle up out of ruts so they can be back-filled to regain traction, or used to cast the vehicle sideways, or even to change a wheel.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, sort of. They use that tech. here, a lot of Fire Departments/rescue squads use them for turned over vehicles when people are trapped. I've seen them used to help turned over rigs to help left them and than a wrecker to winch them back on thier wheels. Pretty cool, them seem to be "POP" resistant, I wonder if they could be patched?? I know the FD I was on had them and never heard a "POP". Mr. Green
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another flavor of them, but they get to be a tad expensive. Shocked
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Here's another flavor of them, but they get to be a tad expensive. Shocked

DOOD Shocked Them's espensive. Finger

I've been looking for prices (I could only find it in British pounds and I'm too lazy to run it through a converter).

Man, I sure hope I find on of those on the side of the road. I guess I'll be using Hefty Bags till then. Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure where to start looking, but have you checked ebay?
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
not sure where to start looking, but have you checked ebay?

Yeah, and all I could fine were Hydraulic Air Jacks. pissed

Don't get me wrong, my Hi-Lift is just fine, and I never expected these things to cost that damn much. I was just curious if anyone had used one personally.

It would be pretty sweet though. Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Don't get me wrong, my Hi-Lift is just fine, and I never expected these things to cost that damn much.

The ones you saw prices for are meant for commercial/industrial and emergency service use. You pay a lot more b/c they're expected to last through a lot more. Not to mention some of the weight capacities on those things is ridiculous sick for any 4wd application.

What's nice about the one in the original pic is that it's tall. That's a great design for offroad applications where you need a lot of height to reach the vehicle, even on flat ground. As you see in the industrial applications, they have 2 or 3 bags tied together just to get the needed height.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: