Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cb Questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Cb Questions... Reply with quote

I just got a unden Cb and am looking to install it next week. All i have is the radio with the mic. I know i need an antenna, mount and cable but where can i find them and for the best price. I am looking to mount the antenna on the stock rear bumper if that helps....also does anyone have instructions on how to wire it? Thanks in advance!
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electron Don in Phillipsburg is VERY knowledgable. He's on Rt 22 not real far into the commercial area. If you miss the turn (it's right at a bend) you've gotta go down pretty far before turning around. It'd be a good trip to visit OK4WD if you haven't been there yet either. Just follow the signs for 57 East...if I remember correctly.

There's another guy at the CB shop in the Truckstop in Kuhnsville that's pretty good too...but I liked Electron Don better.

Of course, they always have the stuff at Radio Shack...but I try to stay as far away from them as possible. Besides, they're prices suck. Oh, Kmart usually has some CB stuff. Check with them too.
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of things do they have at the truckstop in kuhnsville? do they have the cable,antenna mounts and antennas?

is it better to mount the antenna on the rear bumper or off the tire carrier and for either or what size antenna?
themajor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine at a local truck stop. The antenna can be bought with a base and Cable. You will need to set the SWR on the antenna.
L4J Cb's

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

97grntjsahara wrote:
what kind of things do they have at the truckstop in kuhnsville? do they have the cable,antenna mounts and antennas?

is it better to mount the antenna on the rear bumper or off the tire carrier and for either or what size antenna?

Everything can be found at the truckstop. I had mine mounted to the spare tire carrier. It was alright....way too tall with a 4' antenna. Mine was mount directly to the 3rd brake light so I needed to run a separate ground wire too.

Wherever you mount it, you want the antenna to stick up around 12" or more above the roofline. Use that to figure out the length you need.
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks....so they have the mounts and cables and all...how much does it all cost?
themajor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was between $40-50 I got the mirror mount which has a flat 4 bolt plate and bolted it to my Tailgate stop. They will have f few different types of mounts. Get the one that fits your application.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

97grntjsahara wrote:
ok thanks....so they have the mounts and cables and all...how much does it all cost?

I don't know. I bought mine all online and had to run to the truckstop to get the correct part that the online place screwed up. It was a $3 part so it wasn't worth the effort shipping it back and forth.
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more quick ?...where did you guys mount your cb's? and how much did the backet cost? Thanks
themajor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine at a pawn shop for$12.00 and it came with the bracket. Bolted it to the front of my console behind the shifter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: CB & Antenna Location Reply with quote

A while back I bought my CB and Antenna kit online. As far as Antenna and mount, I was really happy with my "Firestik". Really good qualilty, professional looking and the mount is bullet proof! The mount is clamped on to the rear right bumber area and with the mid-size antenna (sorry, forget the exact lenght I bought, think it was 48", it sticks up about 16" over roof. I bought a real inexpensive SWR adjustment meter at Fry's Electronics for $17. When I went to adjust it, was bang on! Didn't need any adjustment, mainly due to the fact, I think, that I bought excellent quality Ant, the right cable length and Antenna installation correct. I mounted CB below glove box, to the left of passenger knees! My wife sometimes doesn't like it there, but was best location. I did not like the idea of putting it to the right of my leg mounted vertically on shifter console, was to bulky.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine going diagonal from the t-case shifter on my tj's driver side. It's out of the way and doesn't bother me. I'll try and take pics of it.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: