Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CB Antenna Mount?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: CB Antenna Mount? Reply with quote

I went out today and got coax cable and a 4ft antenna. I fig. i am gonnd mount the cb to the back of my center console. With all of that taken care of i now need to fig. out where to mount the antenna and what kind of bracket to use.....does anyone have any pics/writeups on their antenna mounts and what kind they used etc....any help is appreciated....Thanks!
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent email with pic attached. This is on the 3rd brake light behind the spare tire. You can see the spacers to raise the 3rd brake light over my 33" spare.
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the email. I appreciate it! Did you need an extra ground wire for that mount?....i asked in my email where you got the mount as well...Thanks
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that terraflex makes this antenna mount, I have two of them but only one is required (I run a dual antenna setup). You can get them at desertrat.com or just search for terraflex cb antenna mount on google. The bracket goes behind your taillight and gives your antenna the maximum amount of height for best reception. It stays close in to your body tub so your cb co-ax wire isn't exposed.

After you are done wiring the cb you need to run the coax wire. I ran it straight down past the shifter and then underneath the driver's seat, up the wheelweel behind the driver's seat and then underneath the lip of the tub. I used zip ties to secure the line whenever possible. DO NOT COIL THE WIRE AT ANY TIME!!! That makes the cb think that the coil is the antenna and you get crappy reception from a 1 inch antenna underneath the driver's seat. I know from experience.

Mount:

On the Jeep:

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
themajor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine with the bolts for the tire stop.

▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just drilled a hole in my rear bumper (OEM tin foil unit) and stuck it on there with some generic mount ya can pick up anywhere. Ran the coax in thru one of the rear drain plugs and up under the carpet. Not a super setup, but it cost next to nothing and I only use the CB for rides anyways so I wasn't worried about peaking out my reception or transmission ranges. As long as I can keep in touch with the group I'm with, it works for me.

I miss that spare tire stop on the YJ's though, that was a great mounting spot. Used to use it on my old heeps, got the antenna a little higher than my current setup.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like my mounts. It gets my antennas all the way above the tail lights. Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted it to the spare tire carrier on Jen's TJ. It's out of the way, unobtrusive and like half the antenna sticks up above the roof (it's a 4' firestick). The only issue with mounting it there is that you have to run a ground wire, since the carrier has rubber isolaters between it and the tailgate. Unfortunatley I do not have any closeup pics of it mounted, but you can see how out of the way it is in these:

I know that's probably not much help... Confused

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack sells a "L" shaped mounting bracket tha will mount easily on your tire mount.

I put an extention on my mount so there is plenty of room for the antenna too. Mounted it on the passenger side, only had to drill two holes. Wire runs through the bottom of the rear door.

Hardest part was lifting the tire back on to the mount.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: