Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RF modulated CD changer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: RF modulated CD changer Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experieince with one of these? They play cd's through an unused Radio Frequency. I'm needing something that can play MP3 CD's and don't want to have to get a new headunit that will control a changer.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one in my girlfriend's car. It's not bad...and a very nice idea for those lacking change controls...but I don't like the downgrade in sound. Basically, you're taking some with a higher quality sound, and downgrading it to radio quality. Radio isn't horrible, but it's worse than CD.

For what you'd spend on a RF CD changer capable of MP3, I see 2 better options.

Replace that head unit. I know you said you don't want to. However, you can get an MP3 head unit for about $150. You'll spend a lot more than that on an RF-modulated CD Changer. If you've already got an after market headunit, half of the work is already done.

Get an MP3-capable discman. There's 2 options with this. There's an adapter made that broadcasts whatever source you use as a radio channel. I believe they're about $30. If you've got an aftermarket head unit already, find out if it has or is capable of having a line level input. A lot of the stuff from the last couple years has this capability. Then you get a patch cable from the discman to the input on the head unit.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
I installed one in my girlfriend's car. It's not bad...and a very nice idea for those lacking change controls...but I don't like the downgrade in sound. Basically, you're taking some with a higher quality sound, and downgrading it to radio quality. Radio isn't horrible, but it's worse than CD.

For what you'd spend on a RF CD changer capable of MP3, I see 2 better options.

Replace that head unit. I know you said you don't want to. However, you can get an MP3 head unit for about $150. You'll spend a lot more than that on an RF-modulated CD Changer. If you've already got an after market headunit, half of the work is already done.

Get an MP3-capable discman. There's 2 options with this. There's an adapter made that broadcasts whatever source you use as a radio channel. I believe they're about $30. If you've got an aftermarket head unit already, find out if it has or is capable of having a line level input. A lot of the stuff from the last couple years has this capability. Then you get a patch cable from the discman to the input on the head unit.

This is actually for my DD. It's that 99 Land Rover that I had posted earlier. A new head unit would require a total amp bypass and the controls on the wheel would not function anymore. I have MP3 head units in a Nissan Maxima and in my Jeep. I've been realy pleased with them both.

Rovers are uber wierd when it comes to aftermarket electronics. For the price of a used factory changer ($200 on ebay) I can get one of these RF changers.

Thanks for telling me about the sound loss. That is one thing that I was concerned about.

I'm twisted up now. It's either like $350 for the head unit (installed w/adapters and amp bypass) or like $200 and a noticable loss in sound quality. Or $200 for a stock changer (better sound but loss in MP3 ability).

Oh, Eric did the changer that you installed have a wire that actually attached to the factory antenna?

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
Oh, Eric did the changer that you installed have a wire that actually attached to the factory antenna?

Yes.

I would go with the factory changer or contact Crutchfield. They have adapters and aftermarket changes that are designed to work the OEM head units with CD changer controls. I've done this install on my mom's Explorer also. Much better sound quality and everything looks factory b/c the controls are factory. You wouldn't know it's aftermarket until you open the center console and see "Sony".
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the use of crutchfield. Use their online search function to see what works in your Rover and what doesn't work.

When I bought a in dash mp3 player they sent me a wireing harness that plugs directly into the back of my new deck and interfaces with my stock harness in my TJ. As well I got the entire wiring diagram and surround plate for TJ. All for free including shipping.

Some say crutchfield is over priced, but they had the cheapest price on my clarion deck and all of the goodies to match.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk with CoreyXJ, he's been in the Car audio biz for a long time. From sales, to custom installs, he can do it!

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: