Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

249>242 swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyfishboston

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: 249>242 swap Reply with quote

249 has been trash for some time, and gas mileage and tires have suffered the wrath... so I bite the bullet and bought a rebuilt 242 from George at Transfer Cases Unlimited (TCU) ($930. shipped from LI NY)

I read Swampys destructions several times and had at it... with the help of a friend, we were done and washing up after 4 hours... this is one of the simplest swaps, most certainly, one of the best swaps that you can do to your ZJ...

I've owned the 98 5.2L Grand for 3 years and have done a number of performance mods that has increased horsepower and economy, but over the last year, I've seen the fuel economy degrade due to a failing 249... prior to the conversion, the best combined gas mileage I could achieve was 13-14mpg... I'm now seeing about 14.5-15.5 in the city, 17.5 (@70+mph) to 19 (@65mph) on the highway... before I get slammed, yes, the speedo gear is correct. I can also attribute the great economy to a few other add-on's done 3 years ago... COMPLETE mandrel bent exhaust (2.5" from the manifold to the "Y" collector, 3" to the tail) from WarpSpeed Performance, Carsound & Flow Pro, Magnecour, Accel, K&N FIPK and Mobil 1 full synth

This conversion will now allow you some real fun... because of 2WD, you can add a Lock Right to the D30, mine is going in this week!
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 249 locks up after like 30 miles of pavement-- and I'm still getting 17 - 18 mpg on the highway, engine and exhaust stock cept for stupid glasspack.

Great work, I'm still looking for the ellusive elcheap 242
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking Maine ... Its out there... Very Happy I paid $100 for mine..
Cool Cool

Glad my write up helped... Wish I got better mileage... I get about 12 on highway and 8-10 in city. Depending on how many riceheads pull up next to me... Mr. Green

Of course I have only done mods to make mine faster.. (Jet Stage 2 and no cat with magnaflow < Ported and polished heads and bored throttle body..)

And a 15 lb right foot... pissed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andyoet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does any one know if a 231 can be swapped for the 249
does the input shaft need to be changed
if so can i use the one from the 249
94 zj 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the 242 swap. The input needs to be changed .. But like stated above.. You will need to either mover your rear axle or shorten your rear shaft.. The 231 is about 1 1/2 " longer than the 242..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andyoet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: drive shaft does fit Reply with quote

the factory drive shaft does fit, just a little tight
could this cause any problems

how much extra ground clearence would 30 by 9.5 inch tires give a stock zj
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock ZJ tires are 235/70 Thats about 27.5 inches tall.. (give or take)
So you are looking at almost 3".. Not to bad..

Answered shaft question in other thread...

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: