Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I or shoudnt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Should I or shoudnt Reply with quote

I know that the title is kind of cheese but I needed to know fast if I should buy this 1951 Willy Pick Up. I know that its from the Cj family so thats why I posted it in here. The truck is for $400 but its not running and it needs some engine work, the body is rusty and there are few small holes here and there. The windows are in perfect condition and so are the original tires that are on it. Also the spare tire is there on the side of the bed like its supposed to. My cousin a big fan of jeep and owns a 47' Willy told me that the truck aint worth it even if the guy gave it to me for free. So should I buy it or just forget about it and keep on looking for another one?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like this? For $400 jump on it. Wink
cjfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks like the one in your link except that everything on its original and the engine is on only couple thousand miles. The thing that bothers me is the holes from rusting. Do you know how I can feel those hose in because if you do then I will buy it right away?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how big the rust holes are but for $400, I'd jump on it. A very basic method is to mark the areas and use a plasma cutter, air nibblers to cut out the rusted area. Cut a piece of metal the same size as your cutout, tack weld it on, use a grinder to smooth the seam, etc. Or you can find a body shop that should also be able to do it. It sorta depends on your budget.
cjfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what I have heard from couple people and I quess thats what I will have to do for the holes. Another thing, are the engines easy to work on because I have been trying to find a car repair manual but I havent had any luck. I'm thinking to rebuilding the engine because the guy said that there is something wrong with it and I think it would be best to just rebuild it. The one that I'm thinking of buying comes with a inline 6 engine and I know nothing about them. So are the engines easy to work on?

Edit: Also where is a good place to buy parts for those kind of trucks?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's the original engine, it should be a 6-226. There's not a whole lot to them when compared to today's engines so if you're comfortable working on an engine, then I don't see why not. There's a place called Kanter that carries a bunch of Willy's engine parts and should be able to hook you up. Wink
edit: this will give you an idea what's involved in rebuilding the engine. Obviously it's not the same engine, but it's pretty similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: