Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camp Jeep 2004

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Camp Jeep 2004 Reply with quote

We had a great time! Here are some pics but we forgot our 35MM SLR's and were working with crappy disposables...so the pictures are kinda sparse. It's annoying cause a lot of the really great shots of some huge Jeeps doing some serious rock climbing are too dark to salvage...believe me I tried.

First of all...the big ass flag. This thing is in a field about 250 yards BEHIND the Jeep in the pic! Shocked

Here's the campground we stayed at...it was about 40 minutes from the Camp Jeep site.

We basically spent day one (Thursday) walking the entire site...the Jeep museaums, concept vehicles, drove a Rubicon, yada, yada, yada...

On Friday we ran the second most difficult trail ("B") at Camp Jeep. After the ride was done, there were Jeeps with bent tierods, lots of body damage and one busted an axle shaft and had to come back later to fix it.

On Saturday, we took the "A" trail...the most difficult trail. Lots of Jeeps took body damage and there were quite a few almost rolls...all of which occured at the now infamous "Variety Mills" (which I went around BTW...30's, skid plates and open diffs were not gonna cut it, I know my Jeeps limitations)...unfortunatly all of those pics from Variety Mills are unusable. Confused

Now onto the wheelin'! Here's a partial shot of the staging area at approx 7am (the 1st runs of the day) on Fri. Just a little perspective. There were 15 trail rides a session, with an average of 35 Jeeps per ride. There were 4 sessions a day for 3 days....you do the math. shock

These are a couple of shots from the B trail on Friday.

Now onto Saturday...in the staging area...

This is the only usable shot I have of this guy...Cherokee on 35's and one of the few Jeeps that made it up Variety Mills...it was sweet!

And a lovely crossing of a very rocky creek...good times.

You can actually see the "trail carnage" in this one...the bolts for the swivel mount on my CB antenna loosened up (from the flags flapping it around) and the antenna finally flopped over. rofl

A better shot of the "damage"...and of me about to repair it...all it took was an allen wrench. Mr. Green

Aside from that my junk did well, better than some TJ's did actually...but I think that was due to driver experience more than anything else. I did knock a front bumpstop out...not a big deal, it will be a PITA to get back in though...

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot about the "Bo and Luke Duke" they had us pull on Fri morning...after we have all aired our rigs down and disco'ed our sway bars...these nitwits lead us out of the staging area like we're at the Daytona 500...everybodys going across 2 lanes and ending up in the grass trying to keep up...what made it even funnier was that the CB just lit up with people bitching about it... rofl

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics!! thumbs Looks like a lot of fun!!
Dcscanner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp Jeep was unreal, my first. Although the rain on Saturday night sucked. The trail rides were the best though, anyone see the Liberty that got all messed up on the ride? Both passenger and driver side doors knocked in, a flat tire and a great paint job courtesy of a few rocks and trees. One of the trail guides had to drive it through the rest of the trail for lady. Good times, great trails.

Nice pics thephantum Very Happy
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time to me Smile

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcscanner wrote:
Camp Jeep was unreal, my first. Although the rain on Saturday night sucked. The trail rides were the best though, anyone see the Liberty that got all messed up on the ride? Both passenger and driver side doors knocked in, a flat tire and a great paint job courtesy of a few rocks and trees. One of the trail guides had to drive it through the rest of the trail for lady. Good times, great trails.

Nice pics thephantum Very Happy

Yeah, we didn't stay for the concert, so the rain Saturday night did not bother us too much....it was the rain Sunday morning while trying to pull up camp that sucked. angry

There were quite a few Jeeps that ended up with Camp Jeep "reminders"...and not just Libby's. We had a Liberty on trail A that kept up with everyone else and came through damage free...he was stock with the exception of some rock rails and skid plates.

We also had a lifted one on trail B that couldn't get over the simplest obstacles. It really boils down to the driver IMHO...

The trails were pretty cool, the only problem is when you have 30+ Jeeps on a 2-3 hour trail ride, you spend most of you time standing around watching everyone go over the major obstacles. On the difficult trails it was cool cause we got to watch all the big rockclimbers go at it...but I remember last year on one of the easier trails waiting for people to get over the simplest stuff...

edit - Yup Todd, it was a good time! Smile

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a shot that J took of the climb from the opposite side that Jen was on (you can see where she was in the pic). It shows the what the angle of the incline was actually like...it took a running start to get over the rocks and have enough momentum to get up the entire climb...while turning 3k in 1st gear. Good times! thumbs

It's an imagesh*t for now...I'll upload the actual pic tomorrow and change the link then...

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

member this?

thephantum wrote:
WAITAMINUTE YOU tool

qadhafi wrote:
Camera An ultra high speed $2000 camera is discouraged. You will break it. Digital cameras and disposals are encouraged. Bring extra film/disks/batteries with you.

What happened to this? Finger

Hehehehe

Looks like you guys had a great time. I was wondering why the vampire thread died.

Oh, and di you get any new sucke....err,I mean converts to the FM2CD philosophy? Finger

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
member this?

thephantum wrote:
WAITAMINUTE YOU tool

qadhafi wrote:
Camera An ultra high speed $2000 camera is discouraged. You will break it. Digital cameras and disposals are encouraged. Bring extra film/disks/batteries with you.

What happened to this? Finger

Hehehehe

Looks like you guys had a great time. I was wondering why the vampire thread died.

Oh, and di you get any new sucke....err,I mean converts to the FM2CD philosophy? Finger

I wasn't gonna get into it yet...but we bought a house last week as well. So we were running up and down I95 getting all the financing straight, putting an offer contract out, etc. all while trying to get ready for Camp Jeep...so we forgot to throw the camera bag into the XJ.

eat me

We did pimp FM2CD and Jeephorizons though...

Quote:
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry we missed hookin up!
As you know I couldn't find your Jeep in the crowd! I did look, though I even got lost looking for mine once! Went back for the umbrela during the concert and couldn't find my red Wrangler anywhere! Found about a dozen though that weren't mine.

We stayed for the concert and fireworks. I can tell you that I have NEVER seen such a beautiful display, and the longest show I have ever witnessed!
The tribute to the US troops was simply un-nerving. I ave a son in that mess over there so it was a special show for me.

We did the 10am E trail Thursday and the wife did the 10am L Friday. We had a couple of Libertys take some pretty extensive damage too. We only had three places for challenges though. Most of the trail ride was easy stuff. The easy L ride was supposed to have a lady engineer ride with the wife but there wasn't enough for all the jeeps to get one. I rode with the wife and found her trail almost more fun than the harder one I took! Much more mud and climbing.

Got done early so Saturday we did Shoe Creek. Up and over before the rain and returned in the rain. Got stuck behind some jeepers out there and ended up following a guy up a trail I need to contact Steve on I think. WHAT A HOOT!

Couldn't get into Second Mt. the gate was closed. Not locked but I didn't want to push my luck.

Found some mud holes off to the left of RT 33 and followed Dry Creek for about 4 miles and that was fun too.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, I'm sorry we couldn't meet up you. I was so busy earlier in the week I didn't write your phone number down nor put it in my phone.

Glad you had a good time though! Very Happy

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:

I wasn't gonna get into it yet...but we bought a house last week as well.

House party?? Finger

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:

House party?? Finger

October 16th...be there or be square. Finger

Quote:
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:

House party?? Finger

You wanna pick me up? Finger

Back from the Dead??
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:
qadhafi wrote:
thephantum wrote:

House party?? Finger

You wanna pick me up? Finger

Not! I guess yer gonna be a square then...but we already knew that. flipoff agree

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: