Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KJ Cold-Air Intake Kit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepJam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: KJ Cold-Air Intake Kit Reply with quote

Hey guys
Just got a 03' KJ for wifey and she's finding it too slugish.
I have been looking at various intakes including Airaid / Volante etc
I have been advised against K&N.
I am kinda confused as to which one to go for... I saw this awsome kit by DATOOR (www.DATOOR.com) their kit comes with steel mesh filter and black chromed pipes Finger
My questions here is, anyone ever tried those kits and if so, what are they like??
The good thing is DATOOR is a manufacturer & Canadian = good prices and CA$$$$$$$ Very Happy yeah baby
JeepJam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: KJ CAI kit Reply with quote

Hey guys... I went ahead and ordered 2 black chrome intakes from DATOOR (- 1 for my TJ also). Ordered it Thursday afternoon, got it Friday morning!!! Thats what I call customer service.

The kit...., boys.... this kit looks great!! The blackchrome tubing and BlitZ type steel mesh filter really looks good - I wasn't expecting this much!!

I was elected to installed the kit for wifey (can you believe it... she never lets me touch any of her stuff, but oh now that she has a new toy.....) all went fine - even got a heat shield as part of the kit.

The test...
Liberty felt like somebody had taken some weight off it.. Really... this jeep actually felt lighter and far more responsive at lower revs.

Decided to do some 'real' testing bud so, I got onto the motorway and floored it!! eeek this 3.7L became a HEMI.... it sounded like a blinkin' V F#@%ing 8 !!

Even accelerating from 70km upto 110km, it was effortless. As soon as I stopped trying to bury the accelerator, all sound was gone & fair Liberty was back to being her usual self.

Only bad thing about this kit... no fitting instructions.....
Tell me one Jeep owner that needs install instructions....
It took 20mins to do and made a huge impact to the engine bay's overall appearence, not to mention the surge in power now available.
Overall, BIG thumbs Definately recommed this one.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ya got pictures of this thing? Wink
JeepJam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2004... and I dont have a digital camera!!

But you can see the intake at this link:
http://www.datoor.com/airfilters.html

At the bottom of the page they have the suv 4x4 stuff[/img]
Renegade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the link. It looks like a nice kit.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we determined that it was a vendor trying to pimp his junk. Confused
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2108&
Slipslap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay for that? I make intakes like that for 3rd gen Preludes for fairly cheap. Cause the 3rd gen lude is a bastard forgotten child. But I read soe of those posts in the thread linked above. I have to disagree with moston there. Any engine will make or utilize more power with a true cold air less restrictive intake. What does an engine need to make power? fuel, AIR, spark. If you inccrease the air, cold air is denser so it has more oxygen per volume, it will make more power. Maybe it's not a peak HP increase, but a increase sonner in the power band. But engines aren't tweaked from the factory for every ounce of power they have. They are made to make power, but at the same time be economical. So if you don't care about economy you can squeeze more power out if you were capable of tweaking the ECU base ROMs.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he paid anything since he was just trying to spam everybody here. no
I understand what you're saying, but how many Jeeps have their EDU's reprogramed. Also, I'd be more concerned about what I'm sucking into the intake - after all, I'm driving in mud, dust, etc not on a nice smooth race track.
Slipslap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel you will suck in what ever you suck in with current intake. Cause they both have a filter on them. And I wasn't saying you have to reprogram your ecu to benefit from a cold air intake. I was just saying if you wanted more power from your engine you could. Cause the factory doesn't get all the horsepower out of it they can. They create a balance between power and economy. Most people think they squeeze all the power but they don't. Thats all I meant by that part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Liberty Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: