Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skid Row oil pan skid install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaySea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Skid Row oil pan skid install Reply with quote

Well since I did this at Paragon:

I realized that I needed to get some protection for my oil pan.....and since I have a 4cyl there aren't many options. So I went with the highly recommended Skid Row engine skid.
First thing you have to do to install this skid is to reverse your pass. side control arm bolt so that the bolt is facing inward...you will use this bolt as one of the mounting points for the skid.

Before switching:

After switching:

Now that the bolt is switched around you can slide the skid onto the bolt (do not put the nut on until the end of the install)...the bolt slides into a hole in the side of the skid.

After sliding the skid into place, swing it up so you can attach the rear mount to the t-case skid....in the instructions it says to loosely install the bracket before putting it into place, but we had better luck not attaching it at all and putting it all together after we had swung it up into place.

rear mount:

It screws in with 2 screws..the skid and the mount sandwich around the t-case skid, so it wont move up or down once in position.

After getting the back part into position, you can now mount the front mount (note the 6cyl version is a little diff. here). The mount goes from the front of the skid to a hole in the bottom of the motor mount frame, attach bolt and tighten down.

After tightening down all the bolts you will be done....it helps to place a floor jack underneath the skid while you are working on it because it is big and heavy.

Finished pic:

You can see how much coverage you get from this skid

Here's the hole in the bottom of the skid so you can change your oil without having to remove the skid every time:

View of the coverage from the front:

Side views:

I feel alot more comfortable now that I have this under my jeep

The install was pretty straight forward, and took about 10 mins. once we got the control arm bolt switched around....If you have any questions fire away Very Happy
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up. I added it to my database of links.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've had this on for awhile - how's it held up?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for the install and don't remember you laying it on it's side for that pic....did you do it when ya got home Wink Very Happy ?

Have ya changed your oil since you had it on yet? PITA? Details, post some follow up details Very Happy !
JaySea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far no complaints...i also have their gas tank skid and it took a beating at paragon with no problems at all Very Happy

I've changed the oil, but i have that fram sure drain thingy....the hose comes right through that hole so it's easy to do, never tried it without the sure drain....the only thing i can tell you is that you should lay some sort of disposable pan on top of the skid for when you take the filter off...the oil lands on top of it but not bad enough for it to be a real complaint Wink

And yes 'drack I took the pics the next day...it was a little dark out by the time we finished up Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: