Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this advisible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Is this advisible? Reply with quote

I need new tires before i go back to school. i have 32x11.50 uniroyal mts right now. I want to move up some in size. Would the 33x12.50 truxus be advisible with 3.55's i may be able to regear in the next year but im not that sure? shoudli just stay with 31's or 32's? I also want to stay under or around $150 a tire. Would i be pushing it with the taller tire, 5th gear is still somewhat useable on the highway right now. Anybody have this gear tire combo?

edit: other tires im looking at are the MT baja MTX, SSR, TSL radial, LTB, Maxxis, and has anyone ever tried this truxus STS thing. Most of my driving is on the highway, but i want to be capable offroad.

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this advisible? Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
I need new tires before i go back to school. i have 32x11.50 uniroyal mts right now. I want to move up some in size. Would the 33x12.50 truxus be advisible with 3.55's i may be able to regear in the next year but im not that sure? shoudli just stay with 31's or 32's? I also want to stay under or around $150 a tire. Would i be pushing it with the taller tire, 5th gear is still somewhat useable on the highway right now. Anybody have this gear tire combo?

edit: other tires im looking at are the MT baja MTX, SSR, TSL radial, LTB, Maxxis, and has anyone ever tried this truxus STS thing. Most of my driving is on the highway, but i want to be capable offroad.

4 banger or I6? I'm guessing 4 banger.
I've got an I6 and stock 3.07 (lower than yours) gears with 33" AT's and don't have any problem in the world. My brother in law has 33" Trxus on his 4 banger TJ and while it's not horrible, it's not ideal. (I guess he has 3.55's too, I know that they are stock gears but I'm not sure of the #)

I've got Trxus on my Discovery and would reccomend those (make sure they get the weight right though.)

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this advisible? Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:

4 banger or I6? I'm guessing 4 banger.
I've got an I6 and stock 3.07 (lower than yours) gears with 33" AT's and don't have any problem in the world. My brother in law has 33" Trxus on his 4 banger TJ and while it's not horrible, it's not ideal. (I guess he has 3.55's too, I know that they are stock gears but I'm not sure of the #)

I've got Trxus on my Discovery and would reccomend those (make sure they get the weight right though.)

its the 4.0 I6, so if hes got 33's and 3.07s w/o problems i should be alittle better off? Any one else got any other input or suggestions ?

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty red has a 4 banger TJ right Qad? Is it a stick? I'm pretty sure the 4 banger auto TJ has 4.10's in it...not sure about the stick. The 4 banger/stick combo might have 3.07's, but I doubt it. It's more likely to be 3.73. I thought that 3.55 only came with the I6/auto package on TJ's.

I would think that the I6/Stick/3.55 combo with 33's would not be too bad. You would probably only be able to cruise in 5th though...most likely downshifting to do any kind of acceleration. I have no first hand experiance though...

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Dirty red has a 4 banger TJ right Qad? Is it a stick? I'm pretty sure the 4 banger auto TJ has 4.10's in it...not sure about the stick. The 4 banger/stick combo might have 3.07's, but I doubt it. It's more likely to be 3.73. I thought that 3.55 only came with the I6/auto package on TJ's.

I would think that the I6/Stick/3.55 combo with 33's would not be too bad. You would probably only be able to cruise in 5th though...most likely downshifting to do any kind of acceleration. I have no first hand experiance though...

Steve

Now that I think about it he has 3.73's. It's a 4 banger 5 speed. And it's dirty. Mr. Green

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gonna see the biggest difference on long hills, you may have to shift down. No big deal. Go ahead and get the 33's Smile

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4cyl, 5-spd has 4.10s. All TJs do and I'm pretty sure YJs are the same.
4cyl, auto has 3.73s on the TJs. (It might be 3.55 in 97, the only year 3.55 was used in a TJ)
6cyl, 5-spd has either 3.07, or 3.73 (I believe the 3.55s are rare and I'm not including the Rubicon)
6cyl, auto has 3.07s or 3.73s (Again, I would say the 3.55s are rare on TJs).
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just gto back from 2 weeks in new mexico (Philmont) and 4 33x12.50 dunlop MTs found their way onto my jeep so i'll let you all know how crappy it is on the highway tommorow, and how good they are offroad

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: