Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soon time for new tires...need some comparisons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaySea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Soon time for new tires...need some comparisons Reply with quote

Hey everyone Twisted Evil

It's about that time again and i need some comparisons of a couple of tars Razz

I need to know peoples opinions and first hand experiences in the snow and rain with....BFG MT, Goodyear MTR's, and Trxus mt......tired of hoping and praying the ole TSL's stop in time Shocked Also how much mileage are you guys getting out of these things?
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been solid with the BFG's I run around here. Snow, rain, trail, whatever. They've been good to me. Wear really well to boot, I usually sell mine and go bigger before I notice any significant tread wear rofl . I've heard about the same from all the tires you've listed though to tell ya the truth. Prolly just gonna boil down to the best deal ya can find. BFG is pretty much price locked, so there isn't gonna be that much of a variant when shopping around (there will be a little, but nothing earth shattering), no experience with the others.

Btw, where the hell ya been Wink ?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRXUS!!!!!

I don't need to say more.

Okay I will. They've got a softer compound that really grips the road. Snow, rain, mud, rocks, clean streets, whatever....they're awesome. You can't go wrong with them. Lot's of siping like an AT with the lugs and offroad traction of a Swamper. You will not be disappointed. Ask Doug also. I know he's very impressed by them. And I'm putting a set of 31s on the Unlimited when money allows.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
TRXUS!!!!!

I don't need to say more.

Okay I will. They've got a softer compound that really grips the road. Snow, rain, mud, rocks, clean streets, whatever....they're awesome. You can't go wrong with them. Lot's of siping like an AT with the lugs and offroad traction of a Swamper. You will not be disappointed. Ask Doug also. I know he's very impressed by them. And I'm putting a set of 31s on the Unlimited when money allows.

Ditto

I realy like mine a bunch. Awsome in greasy conditions. Quiet and wearing very well.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
JaySea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:

Btw, where the hell ya been Wink ?

i fell off the face of the earth Razz

i've heard alot of good things about the trxus but also heard the problems of getting one when you need one...is this still an issue....and if anyone knows do they wear better than my tsls or the same? I really like the mileage my last set of BFG got me, was wondering how the mileage you get with the trxus compares
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaySea wrote:

i fell off the face of the earth Razz

That seems to be contagious Wink flipoff agree .

Another thing to take into consideration is size, more specifically, the width of the tire you're after. If you aren't planning on running a tighter backspacing or getting extended flares, you're gonna be hard pressed to find something resembling the 32x10.50's ya got now. Closest option on the list there would be a BFG in 33x10.50, which would prolly run about the same size (height and width) as the TSL Radials. Just something else to chew on Mr. Green .
JaySea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also thought about that..since trxus still doesnt have a 32" tire option unless i've missed it somewhere..i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong Razz and i'm definitely sure i dont want to pay the cost of the mtr's Shocked
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run the GY MTR's on the TJ and they are good tires. But yea, they are pricey...good tire, just too damn expensive. We also run BFG MT's on the XJ and love them as well...plus they are a lot cheaper than the GY's. Not having any personal experiance with Trxus, I would say go with the BFG...however if Erik and Todd say go Trxus, you can prolly believe them. Wink

Like Keith said though, ultimatley it's gonna come down to the tire size you want to run, what each manufacturer offers vs. bang for the buck.

My $0.02

Steve

(I'll go ahead and fix the misspelling of our name, you know you can get your ass whooped for that Wink ) Keith

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on my second set of mtr's right now. like keith - i tend to swap them out before they worn out so i can't let you know about the life length. all i've run is bfg and gy....so i can compare them. the mt's are miles better in the mud than the gy's - gy's just need too much wheelspin to clean themselves. but i think the gy's grip rock better than all the sets of my bfg's (both before and after the km's came out). very flexy and no punctures yet (knock, knock knock). in the snow the bfg's seem to win hands down also...but once i siped my gy's they paralleled the bfg's! plus the siping ended up quieting the already pretty quiet gy's to street-tire levels. in the rain the gy's pretty much sucked - didn't take much peddle to get you sliding. but again, after siping they stuck like glue! both are about equal for hydroplaning....hmm...what else....oh - i like my gy's better in the sand - that's one time when the bfg's digging abilities get themselves into a little problem. the gy's just floated better.

so...in a nutshell - i'd say the bfg mt's are better "out of the box" for all around wheeling....but with a siped set of gy mtr's you'll have no problems at all. both have midsized tires (32"s) and both are very easily obtained everywhere.
chris

p.s. i'd been looking hard at the swamper trxxus tires for some time now. you're right about the availability - even for a 33x12.5x15 it took better than 3 weeks to get them in - pretty shabby for about the most common size going in lifted jeeps! also, two weeks in a row now at PAP we've had trxxus tires go down. once for a tear right in the sidewall and once for a grapefruit sized bubble that appeared in the sidewall. i'm not giving up on them just yet (love lugs & sipes all in one) but i'm holding off a little longer before i light the candles around the picture Smile
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've already done the research in size variance Wink , but in case you haven't...

TSL Radial: 32x10.50=32.1x10.5
GY MTR: 32x11.50=31.5x11.4
BFG MT: 32x11.50=31.8x11.4
BFG MT: 33x10.50=32.8x10.5

Granted, these are static website values and I know and you know that every measurement on every vehicle is different, but it gives ya a good ballpark to guesstimate the proximity of your current rubber to a matching set of new rubber. Not that I'm trying to make a hardsell on the BFG's rofl . Another thing to consider if you've been happy with the tread life of the TSL's is have a new set of them siped. Might not be as good as a set of siped GY's or regular BF's, but I believe the TSL's are hella cheaper than either. Confused yet flipoff agree ?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too about a week to get my Trxus MT's. I actually tried cancelling the order because I got so pissed off at 4wheel(scamartists)parts but that was due to their business practices. It does concern me that if I have a mishap with them, I'm going to have to wait to get a replacement.
Now, if I can find the time to put them on. Wink
JaySea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:

Might not be as good as a set of siped GY's or regular BF's, but I believe the TSL's are hella cheaper than either.

Is siping legal in pa for inspection...i thought i read somewhere that it wasnt legal. the thing about the tsl's is mine really started to wear uneven after about 20k miles...meaning somehow wierd flatspots showed up on different parts of the tires...definitely not the kind that would come from a bad alignment, just wierd spots...this is where it would be nice to have taken a pic of it Razz

I did like the wear my BFG at's got, but who doesnt...i was just wondering if the MT wore as well, and they do have the 10.5" size that would help out in the ole pa inspection thing...

basically right now the choices are between the 33x10.5 bfg mt and the 33x12.5 trxus...goodyear is just out of my price range.
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, the MTkm's I've had have been wearing as well as the AT and ATko's I had in the past. One of the biggest things that always prevented me from going MT was the fear of longevity and street handling.....I haven't noticed a difference in either. Just a tad louder....oh, and another trade off is they're much better on the trail Wink . I never heard about siping being an inspection no-no, but I'm pretty sure owning a Jeep in PA is one too Mr. Green . Besides, most places aren't gonna know if they were siped after the purchase or they came like that Wink .
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siping seems to be the hot setup for the GY MT/R's up this way. Most Ive seen are sip'd. Its supposed to be a better set up for the New England woods type froading we have. Ive been told it makes a huge improvement.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
Its supposed to be a better set up for the New England mallcrawling all us damn Yankees like to do. Ive been told it makes a huge improvement.

Starting to see quite a few siped tires out this way too but we don't have any legal concerns here. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: