Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97grntjsahara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads? Reply with quote

i am doing the fronts right now and i looked at the rears and they are pretty worn. Anyone have a writeup or some info on how to change them. Thanks!
Jasper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Rear Brake Pads Reply with quote

Don't know of any write-ups, but if you don't have a service and repair manual I would recommend buying one. If you have the proper tools only disassemble one side at a time so you can reference the other side if your not sure how it goes back together. Left to right are a mirror image of each other so assemble everything relative to the front and rear of the vehicle. The short shoe goes to the front. The star wheel adjuster assembly at the bottom of the shoes should be cleaned and lubricated lightly for proper self adjustment. I prefer white grease. You will have to turn the star wheels in some to accomodate the thicker shoes. If you are confident you have everything reassembled properly install each drum and rotate manually, you should hear some contact of the drum and shoes. With both drums on apply the brakes several times to center the shoes. NEVER apply the brakes with the drums off! BIG MESS! After centering the shoes rotate drums by hand again and adjust star wheel more if necessary to hear light contact. If all is well, install wheels. While backing up apply the brakes forcefully and the self adjustment mechanism will do the rest.
If your not sure about this get some help...
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Pads Reply with quote

Jasper wrote:
While backing up apply the brakes forcefully and the self adjustment mechanism will do the rest.

In theory yeah...mine never worked. So I swapped to discs with my 8.8.
Jasper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: In Theory Yeah. Reply with quote

Mine have always worked on all my vehicles. Jeeps, trucks, and even the sports car. The secret will cost you five bucks. A lot cheaper than what you paid for the discs.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: In Theory Yeah. Reply with quote

Jasper wrote:
Mine have always worked on all my vehicles. Jeeps, trucks, and even the sports car. The secret will cost you five bucks. A lot cheaper than what you paid for the discs.

I've never had a problem on other vehicles. But for some reason, they never would adjust properly on the TJ. When I swapped out the D35 for an 8.8, the discs were essentially freebies b/c the real reason behind the 8.8 was the strength and relatively low cost versus a TJ D44.
Jasper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: In Theory Yeah. Reply with quote

Hope we're not getting too off topic, but you're the moderator... so it's okay... Right? My 98 TJ has been good so far but I've had this one only a year (former CJ owner). It has the OEM D44 and has worked just fine. to start another topic, if anyone has had problems with the rear self adjustment (besides clogged with mud) I'd like to know. I think most of us would agree that discs perform better, but so far I don't have any problems with rear drums. Regards,
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: In Theory Yeah. Reply with quote

Jasper wrote:
Hope we're not getting too off topic, but you're the moderator... so it's okay... Right?

Nah...it's cool.

Other than having the right tools for the job, my only suggestion is to only do one side at a time. That way you can complete one side by looking at the other. Or if you have a digital camera, snaps some pics of it assembled.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propr tools is the key...the most important one is the brake spring tool (AKA a Bendix tool). This will make removal of the tension springs MUCH easier. You can get them at most auto parts stores fairly cheap.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[continue hijack]I've never had any luck adjusting the brakes that way. I know it works for some peope - just doesn't seem to work for me and I've had non-stop fights with the e-brake as well. I'm in the process of the 8.8 swap also and I'll also be going with discs. With discs, your stopping distance will decrease. As you go with bigger tires, it begins to tax your brakes. At one time, I was able to lock up the brakes. As my tires have grown, that's become a distant memory.[end hijack]
Carry on. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can usually get the self adjusters to work. I became quite the expert at it when I bought the Camaro a few years back...it has four wheel drum. Shocked Eventually I will change that, but not now...2 Jeeps + buying a house = no money for hot rod.

Given the choice (and the money) I would go to rear disc...which I did on the XJ and will at some point on the TJ. Better stopping power, much easier to work on and mud/dirt is not as much of an issue, since there is nothing to trap it....

Back on topic - 97grntjsahara, here's two writeups on changing rear shoes. The second link has a pretty good diagram which points out and identifies each component within the rear brake system. thumbs
http://jeepin.com/features/drums/index.asp
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearDrums1.htm

HTH

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: