Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

231 swap questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: 231 swap questions Reply with quote

I have a 95 zj with the 249 and want to swap to the 231. My questions are...what is the ideal model and year to get the 231 out of....are my driveshafts going to be the right length. Is there anyway to know the length of the input shaft or the gear cut without diassembly. Like maybe the ID numbers? Thanks for the iput.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a 231 out of the same year XJ it will bolt right up.. Unless you have a V8 then you have to take your input gear out and put it in the 231 case..

I have recently swapped a 231 into mine.. My rear shaft was about 1" to long... I just pushed my rear diff back 1 3/4" (adjustable control arms..) yours may fit fine.. My axle was pushed forward alittle because of my lift.
(control arms where not adjusted right but I didnt want to have any shaft work done.. Mr. Green )

You may not have the same problems as me. Its kinda hard to say since I dont know anything about your rig.. (Might want to put something in your sig)

Anyway.. You want a case that is the same year or older than yours... There has been talk about gear pitch changing in 96... (I dont personally know this to be fact.) But its out there...

I can tell you .. Right now I am running my stock 249 input shaft in a 98 231J case with 2002 231D chain and sprocket.. and I am having no issues at all...

There is a writeup in the tech section on 249>242 swap.. that I did.. Its basicly the same except the 231 is easier to work on than the 242 .. SO should go pretty easily..

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html

Hope that helps...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dutman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the f>r swap and got about 4 inches.....on stock ca's. So my axle is moved forward quite a bit. So that leaves me with the choice of getting adj. ca's or having my driveshaft shortened?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the adjustables.. You will thank yourself later... Mr. Green

Axle centered in the wheel well is very good...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: