Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drive shaft help with 5" lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Drive shaft help with 5" lift Reply with quote

Okay, what are you doing for your rear driveshaft with 5-6" of lift?? Are there any JunkYard sollutions or just take the one it and have a longer one made?? Thanks, Vic
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a SYE? At 5" of lift, I think you'll need one if you don't have one already....but I'm not real familiar with XJs.

At that point, you'd need an entire new shaft built. A lot of people order the SYE and CV driveshaft together. Once the SYE is installed, you measure for the proper driveshaft length and call in the length to the vendor you ordered from. Then it goes to the manufacturer.....most likely Tom Woods.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No SYE, old junk but no vibes or anything!! Wheels good, Just don't like how much sticks out of the t-case rofl
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a rule of thumb is that over 3.5" of lift it is always a good idea to have a slip yoke eliminator. If you don't have any problems then you may not really need one. Custom driveshafts are easy to do as long as they are measured correctly. If you have a good portion of yoke sticking out of the T-case then you may be losing torque a bit and endangering all those little teeth. Do you have a T-case drop kit?? If you do then go ahead and measure the driveshaft end to end, and take into account the angle of the driveshaft, figure out how much longer it would need to be...
Not much longer, about an inch or so probably. If you figure out than 1.25 more inches would help sit that yoke better into the T-case then you can call a company who speciallizes in driveshafts, tell them what you are doing, and they will usually cut them in the middle, sleeve them, and tig weld it right on up. Easy enough right???

Latrerz - CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ecrab3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vic. Suprisingly enough, I was able to drive around on flat streets with the stock drive shaft, but yes it was big time about to fall out.

I bought a new SYE from a ebay vendor for $175 (im a cheap bastid) and got the drive shaft from High Angle Drive line of Ca. That was $230 on special (cheap again)

Tom Woods and High Angle will make you a new drive shaft like your stock one , but longer, but like the other guys mentioned, its a really good idea to go with a sye. A really cheap alternative which I understand is a solid mod is the hack and tap sye by rubicon express. The sye part is about $80 shipped and the drive shaft around $250. Does the same thing as the more invloved ones and you wont have to worry about it falling out on you when you flex big and spill all your transfercase fluids.

IM positive at 5" you should get a sye of some sort just atleast for peace of mind. If not, its not the end of the world, but you might get some headaches down the road.

HTH
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! I've been considering dropping it down to a RE 3.5 coils spring and 33s now that I'm flareless and naked Shocked rofl . I have been reading about XJs with 33s and the RE 3.5 lift kits & bump stops?? I may just get it lenghtened though I do like the looks of the 5???

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94247&highlight=project+jeep
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this says it the best....

Quote:
Dirk
Sponsoring Vendor
More lift doesn't prevent rubbing. Bumpstops do.
You might rub less often with more lift, but bottoming out/flexing the suspension still causes rub without properly tuned bumpstops.
I like the RE 3.5" kits (with upgrades) and proper trimming/bumpstopping for 33's.

ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a badass XJ front bumper posted in that link.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, look better on my XJ though rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
That's a badass XJ front bumper posted in that link.

Yea, that's Martin over at Rock Lizard Fab's work...he makes some sweet stuff.

BOT - Like Dirk says, bumpstops are a big part of a properly tuned suspension. Not only will they prevent rubbing, but without them you can overcompress the springs and wear them out prematurely (ask me how I know).

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay where is a good place to get bump stops???
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the TJ's bumpstops from Dirk at DPG Offroad. I honestly forget where I got the XJ's from... Confused But Dirk might just have them.

If not, you could start here....make a few phone calls or send a few emails. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Quadratec.com and Rocky-Road Outfitters are good for bumpstops, and Quadratec gets them to you faster too.

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: