Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Inch Suspension Lift Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Two Inch Suspension Lift Questions Reply with quote

Guys, I am thinking when I lift it, I might do the two inch spacers above the stock springs, new bumpstop, and new shocks.

My questions are:

Does a two inch suspension lift give issues with transfer case vibration, any weakening of the drive shafts, and do or will I need the front end re aligned, tow etc?

I am not sure wear I am headed long term, I am not a rock crawler, but I do want my jeep in somewhat capable condition. Can you run 32 inch tires with a two inch lift eventually? I will be putting the jeeperman swingaway bumper system on as soon as it arrives, along with the Rock rack (Jamberee Rack), and I will eventually put a capable front bumper on with a Warn winch. Right now I have 30 inch by 9.5 by 15 tires. I think my rims are 15 inch by 8.5.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have some driveshaft vibes with even a two inch spacer lift. I ran a budget boost and encountered very minor vibes which I never bothered doing anything about, but I suspect a couple washers between the frame and the tcase skid woulda solved the issue. For $200 ya can't beat the RE kit. For a couple bucks more, most places let ya upgrade to the OME shocks, which I love, but a lot of people are happy with the shocks that come with the kit. As far as the vibes go, they seem to be more prone with the 4.0l/5spd/D44 rearend combo. That's what I had and most people that seem to encounter vibes have the same setup, but every Jeep is different (I hate typing that as it's a 'catch-all' but it's true none the less Mr. Green ). 32's will fit fine too btw, here's an old pic of mine with the spacers and 32's....

majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantum put a 2.5" Lift on his ladies TJ and put 32's on it. Here's the write-up clicky He did put a 1" T-Case drop to counter the vibes. I'm sure when he sees this post he'll add a few notes. He put in new springs, but I don't see anything wrong with adding blocks to get the desired height. Good luck.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with using the coils over spacers is that you generally get more than the advertised lift height, resulting in the need to address the tcase. Folks that run the OME kit seem to get anywhere from 2.5 to like 3" of lift outta them....and a hella nice ride to boot Mr. Green .
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Inch Suspension Lift Questions Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
Guys, I am thinking when I lift it, I might do the two inch spacers above the stock springs, new bumpstop, and new shocks.

My questions are:

Does a two inch suspension lift give issues with transfer case vibration, any weakening of the drive shafts, and do or will I need the front end re aligned, tow etc?

I am not sure wear I am headed long term, I am not a rock crawler, but I do want my jeep in somewhat capable condition. Can you run 32 inch tires with a two inch lift eventually? I will be putting the jeeperman swingaway bumper system on as soon as it arrives, along with the Rock rack (Jamberee Rack), and I will eventually put a capable front bumper on with a Warn winch. Right now I have 30 inch by 9.5 by 15 tires. I think my rims are 15 inch by 8.5.

With a 2" spacer lift you should not see any issues with vibes...the key words there are "should not". If you do, there are 2 relatively inexpensive solutions:
A) 1" t-case drop - which will lower the tranny tailshaft/t-case combo
B) 1" Motor mount lift (MML) - which will raise the engine up

Either one will help staighten out the driveline angles. But again...that's if you have to do it, I doubt you will. As an aside, I run the spacers on the front end of my XJ (which are notorius for vibes) and I have no issues.

You will need to get it aligned after the install. It will be off...no way around that.

You'll easily be able to get 32 under it with 2" of lift.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.............

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you considering a 1" body lift as well? One of the Jeeps here just did the 2" BB and a 1" BL and 1" MML and clears 33" tires ok for mild wheeling, 32" would be better IMO with the upgrades you are adding.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see budget boosts as a temporary fix, why? Because you will want to go bigger. My .02 is just save the money and buy a full suspension system. Spend your tire money on some 31's now and just save. I have the OME 2.5" and I'm one of the people that got 3" of lift. I ran 33's but it did rub a little, now I have a 1"bl and 1" MML and no issue there. Research all the info you can about suspesions, there are many people on here that run different setups. I love mine, but want to go bigger. I am now researching the Tomken 4" lift. A lot of people are very happy with the RE 3.5" lift.

My Morning Jacket
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RE 2" and have encountered some vibes. I will prolly do the t-case drop.
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been running the 2in pucks with my stock shocks for the last year and a half, with a 1in BL and no problems. I still havent gotten around to putting my MML lift on, but probably will be doing that in the next few weeks.

I say, just look around for a set of cheap 2in pucks on one of the other boards and on here and you can probably find a set for 75 bucks. Do a 1 in BL and put 32's or 33's on there. I have been running 33's with plenty of flex (shocks are really hurting at this point though) and am now just going to move up to a larger lift. I am keeping my springs though in case I have too much sag Smile
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy spacers new for about $35/pair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: