Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axle or transfer case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxjojoxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: axle or transfer case Reply with quote

Hello all! I have a 94 grand cherokee,which i purchased a few years ago. I've been having problems with the front rearend. As of now the front drive shaft is disconnected because something is grinding away. It only makes this noise when connected. Now i'm still getting a noise when i drive & it gets louder when i go on the highway. I've been told by my mechanic that i need a whole new complete front axle which runs around $1300. But how do i know theres nothing wrong with my transfer case?

thanks-joe[/
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How mechanical are you? Have you pulled the diff cover to take a look? You'll need to seal it back up again...that's why I ask how mechanical.

Also, if you're handy with vehicles, get an axle from a salvaged Grand Cherokee and swap it in yourself. You'll spend A LOT less than $1300 you mechanic quoted you. I'm talking like $200 maybe plus your time to swap it in.

To figure out if it's maybe the t-case, we'd need to know more about your vehicle? Trim package, engine size, what are the positions that you can put your 4wd lever in? There's a couple different t-cases that you can have in the GC's. One of them doesn't play nicely with a disconnected front driveshaft.

I'm also going to lock your other thread and point people to this one.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 249 T-case and you keep driving without a front shaft there will be something wrong with your case.. The Vicious coupler in the 249 will burn up if you drive with the front shaft disconnected...

If it where mine I would go to a bone yard and pull an XJ HP30 (same gear ratio should be easy to find) and put that in.. Its a direct swap and very cheap.. (I got one for $100)

Also the HP 30 is much stronger..

As for the grinding it could be something as simple as spider gears... Take the diff cover off and look inside.. See if you notice anything broken...

Oh and driving with something broken in your front axle is dangerous as well because if the broken component gets lodged between the ring and pinion it will lock up your front axle and you will be in a world of poop...

Start searching right away for the stronger better Cherokee Axle.. It will be the best move all the way around..

Also .. YOu will have to remove the drivers side steering arm to open the diff.. Just so you know..

If you have any other questions just ask..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing Joe.. If I where you I would take it to a different mechanic..
If that one thinks your entire axle is junk because of some noise he is an idiot... I shattered a ring and pinion in side mine and I continued to run that housing for another 2 years.. The very worst case scenario would be new ring and pinion (about $140 and Rebuild kit another $75 ) then find a shop that can rebuild your diff.. (Usually about $200 or so... ) Thats a far sight less than the $1300 you where quoted..

Hope that helps..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xxjojoxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone..i want to first thank you for replying!
I'll start with the first response.. I'm not that mechanical myself, but my dad is! I know he pulled off the diff. cover & things looked ok. I know there was some work done to it last year.. I believe new gears, & axle spines.. but i'm waiting for a definite answer.

Now in order to find out if it's the transfer case.. what is the trim package?
I have a v8 5.2. I'm able to move the 4wd lever in all positions. I believe I have a np231 case.

Hi Carl.. Like i said i think i have the np231 case.. (standard on the grand cherokees?) The xj hp30... is this an entire axle? or just the gear set?

Thanks!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard on a V8 Grand is 249 it has 4 fulltime and 4 low.. IF yours has
2WD 4 part time 4 fulltime and 4 low .. Thats a 242 if it has 2WD 4 hi and 4 low.. That is a 231... Now that we have the transfer case figured out...

The HP 30 is an entire axle from an XJ.. Look for the 95-97 model (I think)
They havethe bigger axle shafts and U-joints.. And LIke I said.. You go to a Bone yard ..Get the axle.. COme home and bolt it up... Problem solved..

YOu now have a much stronger front diff for a good price.. (Probobly around $200 depending on what the local yards charge..)

But before you install it.. Open the carrier .. Make sure its clean.. Pop out the carrier and the pinion.. Change axle tube seals. (About $9 each) and The pinion seal.. ($9 as well I think) Take special care to keep all shims exactly as they where... And count the threads on the pinion nut before taking it off...(Very important to get the back lash back to where it should be..)

IT will cost you about $50 to rebuild the axle.. (Seals only ) and then bolt it up.. Problem solved...

IF you have the 242 (More likely than 231 ) you will be fine driving without front shaft but I would still be weary of the noise. SOmething must be wrong..

Try to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from axle or diff and let me know.. I can give you more options...

Carl

ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XJ HP D30s should actually work from 95-99. In 2000 they went to the low pinion D30. And prior to 95 you could have the vacuum disconnect (bad) or the smaller u-joints (also bad).
ByronP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize it's not the best option but it looks pretty cheap. $50 for a D30 from a 93 ZJ. Though I don't know how far this is from you. Probably only worth it if you are close and could pick it up. You have the CV or u-jointed front driveshaft? I think they use different yokes so if you start looking at axles you might have to check to see if you need to swap yokes.
http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15846
Good luck in the search
ByronP
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: