Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to ZJ's and the Solid front axel world opinions or help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
forexfour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: New to ZJ's and the Solid front axel world opinions or help Reply with quote

Just signed up for the site and i have read up on a few threads that pertain to what I am doing. Here is what I have and want to do.

I bought a 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo 110K miles 5.2 and very clean. Paid 5k for it.

First thing I did was throw a 4.5" RE lift on it. Put on some Bridgestone Dualer AT's on it 32x11.5x15 for the road. I have not decided what tire to run off road yet.

After the lift I had new front and rear drive shafts built. A super slip front and with new heavy duty joints. Well the front drive shaft is not for AWD use. I am hoping to do the 249-242 or 231 T-case swap this weekend and resolve this issue and then have the rear fitted properly.

I am waiting for the Trailready front bumper to be ready so I can put it on. I am holding off on the rear for now til I get the T-case and any other issue worked out.

My wheelin bud is the mech and has a full shop to work in which makes it easy to get stuff done and not take for ever like doing it in your driveway. I really am not understanding the swap and what needs to be done but he does.

I have read the post here regarding the 97 GC and the 249 swap and then to 231HD swap.

What would be best to goto 242 or 231HD? I think I am reading the 231HD is the way to go. Is the swap pretty much the same as the 249-242?

We will do a rebuild kit on it before we put it in.

I have the D-30 in front and the D44A in back. I want to lock it up but I am not sure of those option or how I should proceed. You all here seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable and I hope you dont mind reading this book of a post and adding any additional info I may need to proceed.

I friggin love the jeep a lot. Wheeled it at Pismo beach in CA last weekend. It is so much smoother than my 2000 Dakota was.

Here is a link to some video from Pismo and I also have some photo's to post as well. I have only had this thing for like 3 weeks today. I still have not flexed it out but hope to after the t-case swap this weekend.

http://www.caoffroaders.com/pismo82204/pismo02.wmv

[/img]
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl (SWAMPY) is our resident ZJ expert! He'll know, as far s lockers in the rear. I'm not sure if its an opption for the D44 A never heard of that one before, but I'm a fan of ARB Air Lockers, you pay a lot of cash for them, but they are very nice

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there's a lot of aftermarket support for the D44A. It's made out of aluminum and just haven't seen much for it.
forexfour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what i am hearing about the D44A. Sucks!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have a mechanic on hand .. Get him to help you do an 8.8 swap..

ITs stonger than a dana 44 and cheaper.. (get one from a 95 or newer Explorer and you will have disk brakes.. ) They are also easy to find with 3:73 gears and can be found with 4:11's.. IT is not hard to make the swap..
Plenty of writeups on it...
The 231 HD is not an easy swap.. WHile it will slider right onto your tranny output it is much longer and has a 1350 yolk so your new shaft will be tossed in the pooper... I would suggest a 231 since you are in Cali.. IF you where somewhere where it might snow I would suggest the 242 for the fulltime 4WD option..

Also.. If you are going to be wheeling reasonably hard .. Swap in an XJ Dana 30 its High pinion makes it much stronger than the low pinion dana 30 that you have now and if you look around you can get one with the beefy 1310 JOints and fat shafts.. The HP 30 is just as strong as a Dana 44 front for a fraction of the cost and its a direct bolt up from XJ to ZJ..

If you go HP30 and 8.8 with a 231 you will have one very strong very capable rig and its all reasonable easy stuff to find and not to expensive..

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
forexfour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet bud! I will have to make sure my bud Craig reads what you just said. Sounds reasonable.

HD 30 and the 8.8 in the rear is something to work towards. I will get the case in first then look for the rest of the stuff

Thanks very much for the info!

Chris
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to go for a bit of a drive, check Subway Truck Parts in Sacramento. It's a scrap yard where I got my 8.8 for $295. They had a pretty good selection. Wink
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy say I wanted to order an 8.8, what all would I need to know about it?

My Morning Jacket
forexfour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind any drive. Hell I will drive 400 miles one way for a day off road trip with my group I belong to in CA just to have a good time off road. Sac is a hop skip and a jump away!

Thanks for the tip.

You guys say this swap is pretty easy to do?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to get the 4.10's and it was complete including the brake lines. Mine even had the factory tags on it still. Wink
Depending on the place, crack open the diff cover and be sure the gears aren't broken and obviously look to see that it's not bent in an L-shape. If they have records or it's still on the vehicle, try to get something that was in a front end collision rather than a rear end.
I'd say I'm into it for ~$500 right now for the axle and brackets. I need to finish cutting off the old brackets, weld on the new and bend new brake lines. You'll need to adapt the e-brake cables. The welding is pretty important that either you know what you're doing or get a competent welder so the axle doesn't fall off. Mr. Green
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that hard..Here is a writeup on how to do it...

http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=145

OF course we dont all have awesome tools like that..

carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another with a bit of info if you're interested in keeping the ABS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: