Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well, my girlfriend lost her car in the Gaston storm...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Well, my girlfriend lost her car in the Gaston storm... Reply with quote

I had just gotten into work last night when I called home to let my family know I made it fine. My mother tells me that my girlfriend's car got swept away, ALMOST with her in it. She was apparently driving near her home when she hit a flooded area at the bottom of her hill. The flood waters trapped her inside, and she grabbed hold of her flashlight she had gotten from Camp Jeep and started shining it out the window. The waters swept inside her car and she was forced to go into the back seat, but people near the road saw her car get pushed off and were able to break the glass in the back window and pull her out. Not more than 5 to 6 seconds after vacating her car, the flood waters consumed it and swept it away. Her purse, personal papers, some clothes, her keys (including house keys), and a few other things were all in the car when it disappeared, but she is ALIVE.

Fortunately, she had full insurance coverage and GAP protection, so she can probably get everything back, but it's just a royal PITA.

If my life weren't a frickin' greek TRAGEDY, I'd have no fun at all.

angry angry crybaby crybaby angry angry

Well, at least now she can get a JEEP WRANGLER!!! crazy jeep

Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know she is ok. The other things can be replaced. Take care and God Bless!

Chuck
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said...the point is she's OK, everything else is actually irrelavant....plus now she can get that Wrangler she's been wanting. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Allen. Sandy may be shaken, but I know she ain't stirred. It was bad last night. No one was expecting how bad it got. That storm came over us, stalled and we got 14" of rain in 6 hours. Angie thought she was back in New Orleans with all the flooding.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, glad she's okay. That's something I can't stress enough about flash floods. Obviously the type we get are a little bit different in the desert, but having seen their strength, I can never stress enough to people how dangerous they can be. Again, glad she's okay.
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, this news site has a good slide show of the destruction in and around Richmond caused by the flooding...it's good stuff. Click the slideshow on the middle left of the page.
clicky
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics 9 & 10 look like we'll have a good parts Jeep.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen sorry to hear that. Glad she is okay. I'll have to agree that her being allright & safe is the most important. Cars can always be replaced. Jeep wrangler?? Cool didn't know that. Best wishes and glad to hear she is okay.
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, now the update...

We were able to find her car in the swamplands below her hill, barely visible from the road. It washed down about 150 ft. from the highway, and with the bog completely surrounding it it's going to be a PITA to recover it. We were able to walk through the woods alongside the bog to the car, but were stopped 10 ft. away by the swamp-waters, and I don't have swampboots to wade in. One of my buddies came up from NC with his, so we're going to be able to get in there and get her stuff out. Recovery of the vehicle is almost next to impossible without an industrial-strength winch and at least 200 ft. of cable, and that's even with navigating around the trees in and around the bog. I have no idea how the county's gonna get that vehicle out of there.

Even better news, Allstate totalled her car, so they may be able to process her claim in less than 48 hours, which is excellent. She'll probably get two checks, one for the remainder of the car payment (with the GAP factored in), and the other to her for the amount she put into it MINUS the tax of course, about 8 mos. of payments with the $1000 downpayment. At least she should have something to put forward on the Wrangler.

She has also picked out an Electric Lime Green Wrangler 4-banger with automatic tranny, fatter tires and nice rims, cloth top, and cool running decals for around $22,500. I really wish she'd get a 4.0L, but she might not be able to afford the payments (which needs to be under $300 for her budget...). I'll still have to co-sign her, but at least she'll have the money up front to pay for this.

Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to here that Sandy is ok. That's great Allstate is going to work so fast. So, look on the bright side of it all, Sandy could be in a new wrangler by the end of the week.

hmmm a thought.....would Sandy be willing to go used? She could possibly affort the 4.0L Wrangler.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd tend to believe $22,500 is a bit high for a 4cyl/auto - even with the (???) upgrades.

Chuck
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen2Goofy wrote:
I'm glad to here that Sandy is ok. That's great Allstate is going to work so fast. So, look on the bright side of it all, Sandy could be in a new wrangler by the end of the week.

hmmm a thought.....would Sandy be willing to go used? She could possibly affort the 4.0L Wrangler.

I agree, we'll see what they can do for her. I expect she won't be able to drive away in a Rubi or Unlim, and possibly not in the one she wants. But I would think she could get a good deal on a used one there.

But what gets me is that she is so hung up over color....

"No red or yellow, everything else is okay..."

I'm trying to convince her that the basics and options are what needs to be looked at first, THEN start worrying about the color. You can always get it painted afterwards...

1: 4.0L Inline-6
2: Automatic (she can't drive stick...)
3: Soft-or-Hard top (she wants Hard top)
4: 31" + tires and offroad rims
5: fog lamps, recovery points, etc...

THEN color, at the very least.

ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake69 wrote:

But what gets me is that she is so hung up over color....

"No red or yellow, everything else is okay..."

I'm trying to convince her that the basics and options are what needs to be looked at first, THEN start worrying about the color. You can always get it painted afterwards...

She'll never understand. It's a girl thing. Think about how the vast majority of females pick their favorite sports teams???

If she needs the auto, don't bother with a 4cyl. Auto's suck too much power compared to a manual and there's isn't much power coming out of the 4cyl.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

She'll never understand. It's a girl thing.

Now you done did it....Jen is gonna tear you a new one for that. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
ehirner wrote:

She'll never understand. It's a girl thing.

Now you done did it....Jen is gonna tear you a new one for that. rofl

Yeah...I figured. But you can't deny that it's true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: