Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How deep is too deep for Auto?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: How deep is too deep for Auto? Reply with quote

I've heard deep water and an auto tranny don't mix. How deep is too deep? Is the breather hole on the top of the tranny? I'm in an 03 auto. Thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been deeper than this before without any adverse effects...

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Just find the breather and extend it.. I put mine with my front diff breather on the fire wall as high as I could..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: How deep is too deep for Auto? Reply with quote

mitchss wrote:
I've heard deep water and an auto tranny don't mix. How deep is too deep? Is the breather hole on the top of the tranny? I'm in an 03 auto. Thanks

An 03 what? Mr. Green TJ? If so Zandril has an Auto, he goes in pretty deep because I've seen him. We can ask him. Hey Zandril? How deep can you go in an Auto?
Mr. Green
iNSaNeR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in deep water in my 99 3 speed auto. BUT... yes, the auto is notorious for not handling water well, but even more notorious for not handling mud well. I have a friend with an 01 that has had to rebuild his tranny twice because of mud and a few other times has only had first gear for several weeks, even after changing the fluid. But, I've never had that problem and I often go through the same holes he does, but he's a little more stupid then I am when I comes to going through mud. Very Happy

The problem lies in the fact that the auto's breather vent, from what I've been told by several people, is under some access panel I believe in the front maybe. It's just a hole, no tube. In order to "extend" the breather, you literally have to have the transmission out and basically rebuilding it because you have to seal that hole, then drill a new hole on top and run a breather tube from that. It looks bleak in the world of auto trannys. Now, as far as I know all that information is for the 3 speed auto, but I think the 4 speed is relatively in the same boat, but don't quote me on that. Good luck!

Green Jeep Club Member #3
Purdue Off-Road Club
Almighty Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an 03 Auto.. when it was stock i had it up to the fender flares and stoped in water... not had a prob yet.... abd have been up to my head lights more then once... i can post a vid if you really want me to
JeepSahara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '97 TJ and after 5 or 6 times being in water over my headlights, I finally did it. My last time, I sank the front end to the top of the hood. The engine stalled (which is never good in an auto), finally restarted but only had 2nd gear. Very expensive lesson. Now with a rebuilt tranny and a very large credit card bill, I stray away from deep water/mud.

-Chris
mitchss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Stay out of the deep water and mud. Not worth risking a rebuilt tranny! Thanks for the replies and experiences. Great site so far, I'll be back often!

Laugh
Almighty Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that the vernt on the 03s is actually properly done.... i'm not positive where it is exactly... but i know i have been into about 36 inches of water in my 03 Auto when it was stock and i even stoped the jeep (damn rock) and put in reverse to back up and go around with no adverse effects what so ever...
iNSaNeR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almighty Bob wrote:
i have an 03 Auto.. when it was stock i had it up to the fender flares and stoped in water... not had a prob yet.... abd have been up to my head lights more then once... i can post a vid if you really want me to

I've been up to my headlights too, all I'm saying is that I think I'm playing with fire and I've been lucky.

Purdue Off-Road Club
iNSaNeR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitchss wrote:
Well, you guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Stay out of the deep water and mud. Not worth risking a rebuilt tranny! Thanks for the replies and experiences. Great site so far, I'll be back often!

Laugh

Yea, don't be TOOO scared. Like he said, I think the 03 tranny has a better vent option but don't quote me on that. Also... be more scared of mud (especially gooy, dirty, and/or thick mud) then water.

Also, some EXTREMELY important notes:
You will ruin an engine if you get water in your air intake, so NEVER go that high.
Don't go 30MPH through a water hole, the water can splash up enough to hydro-lock your engine. This happened to my friend.
Never turn your engine off in mud or water because the exhaust will continually push it out from entering the tail pipe.

Other then that, you'll find your own limits probably before you find your jeep's engine/tranny limits when it comes to mud/water... unless your stupid Mr. Green

Purdue Off-Road Club
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know, 2003 and newer TJs with the new 4-speed automatic finally got a remote breather tube for the transmission like the axles and transfer case have had for years. So if that's true, and I believe it is, the old problem of water being able to enter the tranny via the button vent on top of the tranny is now gone, effective 2003. Look on top of your transmission, or at least snake your hand up on top and see if you can't find the neopreme breather tube. Don't mistake the one on the transfer case for the one on the transmission you're looking for. Smile
blupupher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Bransford wrote:
So far as I know, 2003 and newer TJs with the new 4-speed automatic finally got a remote breather tube for the transmission like the axles and transfer case have had for years. So if that's true, and I believe it is, the old problem of water being able to enter the tranny via the button vent on top of the tranny is now gone, effective 2003. Look on top of your transmission, or at least snake your hand up on top and see if you can't find the neopreme breather tube. Don't mistake the one on the transfer case for the one on the transmission you're looking for. Smile

Yup, my friends '04 has the tranny and t-case vent tube side by side on the firewall, so I guess the '03 is the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: