Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bestop Sunrider

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Bestop Sunrider Reply with quote

Anyone have any experiance with it? I already know the pros...what are the cons? Since I tore the existing top up on our last wheeling trip, I may as well upgrade.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunrider has some potential, but I don't like the fact that it's based on the Supertop. I think the Supertop was an upgrade when we had CJ and YJ tops, but it's been surpassed by the stock tops on the TJs. Just get a sail cloth Replace-A-Top....you won't be disappointed.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'll second the RAT - best thing since sliced bread. Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...also wanted to add that you can modify the stock hardware to have the sunrider feature.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/otherwriteups/sunroof/sunroof-1.htm
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...doing it yourself would be a good way to go, but this is what worries me. The TJ does see highway miles...

Quote:
The only thing I'm skeptical about, is driving down the freeway at 65 or 70 mph. I suggest speeds no greater than 45 mph. I haven't tried it out at speeds greater than 45 mph as I was a little concerned about the top half that folds back, ballooning and doing damage to the soft top frame.

Then again the best price I've found for a Sunrider so far is $625...and it might have the same issue with speed. Confused

Maybe I'll just go with a Replace-A-Top and leave it be...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always I'm late to the party Mr. Green . Like Erik said, the Supertop is pretty poor in my opinion. Buddy of mine had one and I helped him install and take it off a couple times and it was basically a YJ design that was retrofitted onto the TJ. I had 'em on two YJ's and loved them, but on a TJ, they just don't cut the mustard shock . Never seen a Sunrider up close so I can only make my judegement based on the instructions I downloaded once. Very funky hardware setup. There're two seperate bow sections. One for the front and flip section and one that attaches to the top of the rear corners of the sportbar. The bow design just baffled me. Looks like a good top for those that don't want to take the top completely off as the design looks like it promotes just the flip usage. Dunno, I was interested in one way back when I had my '97, but after seeing the setup, I lost interest hella fast Wink . My useless opinion is that for once, the factory setup is the best for a softtop on a TJ. Do one better and go sailcloth for the replacement skin and you're all set Smile .
Shaks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sunrider....love it and the hardware was no big deal. Installed it myself (without my husbands help) in about 4 hours. It is great to be able to just flip the top without having to store the windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: