Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damned rear shock bolt broke on 2000 GC, How to Fix??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drizler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Damned rear shock bolt broke on 2000 GC, How to Fix?? Reply with quote

I tried everything under the sun from air wrench to rosebud, arc welder and finally broke the bolt that holds the rear shock in its upper mount. With nothing left to do I managed to drill most of the way through the long monster with ever increasing drill bits but can't get all the way because its just too deep. Have any of you ever busted one of these and if so what is the best fix that will be strong enough for regular road use without dropping the tank ect??????? Of course my pilot hole is not exactly in the center of the bolt so getting the whole thing out is looking a little sad. Too bad OEM never heard of never seize. Rolling Eyes I never saw anything so stuck that was 4 years old and not rusty!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke one before.. I used a 3lb maul and a big ass craftsman center punch..
Its about 8" long .. Once you get it out .. A 1/2" grade 8 from Home depot will replace it nicely.. I am using them all over my rig.. Mr. Green

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found a grade 8 at Home Depot, but maybe that's just the retarded ones here in KY

My Morning Jacket
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here there is a plastic bin with drawers .. The ones with green lables are grade 8..

How about Lowes???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drizler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: So Am I correct That It has a nut on the frame's inner rail? Reply with quote

It feels like that beasy has a nut welded on the inside which it has to thread through. How do you go about center punching through that? Too bad I couldn't get it exactly centered when I started drilling as its gonna have to go up at least one size and get tapped again to boot me thinks. Christ those cheap oem bolts are a PITA. I have an old 49 Cat and those give me less headache with the #8 Fine threads than the new stuff does. The good news in all this is that the truck drive the same even without the shock on there so my wife can't tell the difference meaning I have time to fiddle............ Mr. Green When it comes to good bolts, around here all we have is Lowes and they have squat for bolts, true value is better.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a nutsert...(Meaning its a nut tacked to the frame.. )
I cant remember I just know I used a center punch and drove it out..

Give it a good looking at.. If I get a chance I will look under mine...

Carl

drizler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: I guess thats what you would call itT Reply with quote

The frame is wrapped from the bottom with a U shaped reinforcing piece with the nuts attached. Somehow I am going to have to ream that long monster out. At least its not very hard as bolts go just damned long and longer yet due to that protruding bracket that holds the shock
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: