Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear change problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Gear change problem Reply with quote

After fitting the MORE MML a while back I noticed a difference in changing gear. particularly into 2nd. It wasn't a problem then but now for some reason in this cold weather you have to be careful that it actually engages in 2nd. I seem to remember something about removing a piece of sponge or something. Anybody have an suggestions?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the shifter boot up and there should be some foam under there ya can remove to help it stop binding. Doesn't work for all years, but I think you should be okay with an '01. You're not still running the full tcase drop kit with the mml are ya?
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I removed the spacers soon after fitting the MML. Does the boot just lift up? No screws or anything?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had to do it to mine, but it should just pull up. Prolly wanna start at one corner because it really looks like it's tucked under there. Don't know why I haven't noticed any probs....seems everyone has this problem but me???
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny......mine does the same but only when I first get moving after my jeep has sat for a while, then it wont do it.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first - you should have the foam padding that 'drack is talking about. it was only in later years (like wwit and mine - the '03 year and newer) that they eliminated the foam.

start by working the rubber boot out from the sides. it's held in by a plastic surround from underneath with clips on all sides. either be gentle with it, warm it up in a garage, or both - otherwise you'll crack it apart. once off you'll see the foam padding that we're talking about. i'd just remove it all together - it's the point that is binding against the hole in the tub. if for some reason you don't have the foam - then you'll need to elongate the hole that the rubber boot (the lower boot - you'll see what i mean) is covering. that boot is held on with about 5 screws i think...and then the tub is exposed. i had to use my small grinder to take out some tub material from here and then stretch the lower boot to fit over the newly shaped hole. after that i just reassembled everything and it was all good.

oh, if you do this all and THEN put on a motor mount lift? well...it sort of makes it even worse. this is when i just pulled out the shifter, heated it with a torch, and rebent it to compensate for the new angle. good luck and try to take some pictures.....it's all about the tech writeups, right???
chris
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I only have this issue in the cold and once the tranny fluid is warmed up, it goes away... If ya can deal with it, when it's above 50, you won't notice... I barely get into reverse in the AM..
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really pissed off with having to try 2 or 3 times to get into second so I did it this morning. I got the outer rubber boot off but couldn't find the sponge bit you were talking about. I eventually removed the gear change knob and the boot altogether. Then I saw the sponge bit you were talking about. It's a sleeve about 1" in diameter that slides over the gear change stalk.

Just went out and gave it a spin. It's marginallly better. I tried it without the outer boot altogther, it's much better. I think it's probably due to the boot material being so damned cold and stiff that it's accentuating the problem.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:
Just went out and gave it a spin. It's marginallly better. I tried it without the outer boot altogther, it's much better. I think it's probably due to the boot material being so damned cold and stiff that it's accentuating the problem.

Cutting off the sponge tubing did little for mine. What really made a difference was pulling the boot up and working it down inside the console...not so it latched in like it's supposed to, but so it just sits down below the console inside of it. I've never had anyone comment on it, so I'm assuming it's not that noticable. I certainly havent' noticed it in awhile.
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:
I think it's probably due to the boot material being so damned cold and stiff that it's accentuating the problem.
Though I haven't done it myself because it doesn't get that cold here in San Diego, some report good results from replacing their rubber shift boots with leather shift boots that don't stiffen up in cold temperatures. I don't have a link but that subject has come up in other Jeep forums that perhaps you could post a question in a couple Jeep forums asking for sources of leather boots that fit a TJ. They're available, I just don't have a link for you, sorry.
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry I'll bear that in mind.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Jerry styling with a leather shifter. Wink
Jerry Bransford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:
I could see Jerry styling with a leather shifter. Wink
Hey yeah man, I been thinkin' of turning my Jeep into a pimpmobile! Mr. Green
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that http://www.summitracing.com has them. Their website's search isn't the best so I'll check their catalog and see if the have them. HTH
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn I remember reading that somebody used a leather Mustang shift boot that fit perfectly when attached to the plastic ring the factory Jeep boot attaches to.

But I don't remember where that was exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: