Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What and how much lift should I get?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: What and how much lift should I get? Reply with quote

Ok everybody help me out here. I am planning to mod the 97 GC but I want to keep it a reliable daily driver/mild wheeler. I'm planning to run 32" BFG's. Not sure if I want the AT's or the MT's yet but I am leaning toward the AT's since I know what they are capable of both on and off road and they should work fine. My ? is how much lift do I need to clear them when flexing and what lift to get? Also what driveshaft mods will be needed for the lift? I am planning to swap in a XJ HPD30, 242 t case at the same time. As far as swapping the rear I'm not planning to do it yet. Also everything has to clear with no trimming and the tires can't stick out past the fenders so I need to know what backspacing to get on new wheels. I will be skid plating everything and getting diff guards and I might do a hub conversion on the front to get lock outs if I can retain the ABS. I have to keep the ABS for inspection. Also do you think I should switch gears? I'm not sure what I have in it now but I'm thinking I should have at least 3:73's with the taller tires. Let me know what you think.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
forexfour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you saw the video I posted of flexing my 97 GC with a 4.5" RE lift and 32's but at max flex I rubbed the rear bumper and it pulled off ( snapped back into place). I do get some rubbing all around but nothing to bad and I am on stock wheels for now. I had new front and rear drive shafts built up with super slip (that is what the drive line guy called it). I swapped in a NV231 T-case. I am having the exhaust piping and muffler re routed since when flexing the drive line rubbed the muffler nothing major. I am planning on taking it back out this weekend to figure out what the popping noise is I have up front.
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep saw the video. Cool I like the look of your Jeep. I'm a big fan of little lift and big tires. Could you have used the stock shafts? Just want to know all I can before I dive in and order parts. Getting shafts is not a problem but it will add to down time. I can live with some rubbing but the wife might shoot me if I get the sawzall out and touch the body with it.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 4.5 your shafts should be fine.. And I would suggest if you dont want to trim you go with 4.5.. If you dont mind a little trimming.. You can run 33's with 4.5..

Edit... Oh yeah.. I think Rubicon Express is about the best stuff around..

Let me suggest http://kevinsoffroad.com Kevin is the mack.. You will be very pleased with anything you order from him..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton has an actual engineering degree, if you choose to use a LA system
cool94gc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forexfour: Can you repost the video or post a link to it?
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.caoffroaders.com/9504holl/9504hollister.wmv

That is the link to his video.

Thanks for the help everybody. I am no stranger to doing lifts and my own fab work. The K5 in my sig is a work in progress and I know GM's fairly well but learning about the Jeeps is fun. Still not sure what I am going to do with my YJ but that's no big deal. I plan to buy stuff from Kevins off road just because he seems to know his $h!t with these GC's. Plus he has a good rep. All I have to do is wait till the warrenty is up next spring on the GC then I will tear in to it.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
forexfour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Here is a video from this last weekend flexin without sway bars, UGH rub city on the bumpers but the front is going and the rear just needs some minor trimming.

http://www.caoffroaders.com/91204hol/91204hol.wmv
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 94 zj with a tough country 3.5 inch lift...the wheel and tire shop said i can clear 32s with minor trimmin as did swamp boy as for keepin the tires under the fender wells find some factory jeep rims...aftermarket wheels give more backspacing that stick the wheels further out...also causes clearence problems when sharp turns....off the top of my head i know of 4 or 5 different styles of factory jeep wheels, rubicon wheels, the 5 star with jeep on one of the stars, the XJ wheels, and my wheels with are 16 aluminums that come on the special limited grands...got mine for a good deal Mr. Green
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get some American Racing 767's ..

From Pep Boys for about $43 Each..

4 3/4" Backspacing will allow you full turn with 12.5" tires... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey fourxfour...you said you have popin up front...i had same issue hit a small bump or turn the wheel...come to find out it was my track bar bracket, when i turned the wheel or hit a bump the whole bracket moved and smacked another bracket...i needed another bolt to keep it really snug...mite be the same problem your having with yours
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: