Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEyedFish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: New XJ Reply with quote

well, for me at least. I just purchased a 99 Cherokee Classic, and am enjoying my newer, quieter jeep. I am not new to the jeep world, but new to the XJ world. If anyone here has any important information that you think I need to know about an XJ, please let me know.

I do have a few questions, all of which could probably be found in the manual I have yet to buy, but this just seemed easier. First of all, the radio sucks, and I don't have any tapes, so that stock radio/tape was the first thing I wanted to swap out. I bought the new CD player, but didn't pay the guy at BestBuy $50 to put it in. Why do that, I have put many players in before? Right. How in the hell does that dash come off to get a player in there? It seems to simple, but I just didn't want to pry too hard and mess up my new jeep the day I got it. I found some screws on the ends, inside the door, but thats about it. I don't really want to take the whole thing out to put in a cd player, but if I have to I will. Any advice on that would be great. Maybe I should just buy a manual.

Also, the previous owner was obviously of incredible size. He/She has broken or bent (dont know yet) something inside the driver side seat, so now I kinda tilt back to the right. If I were some white smartass teenager that listened to rap music pretending to be a gangsta I probably wouldn't mind, but that's not me. The center console is also a little wobbly. Both of these are on the list to fix. Any ideas on where to start. It looks like the seat might just need to be replaced. Probably looking to just keep it stock on the seat, unless you know of a good, relatively inexpensive replacement. The console might just need some screw tightening.

After I get all the minor stuff done, I will probably entertain the idea of suspension, tires, etc., but that is down the road, and I will probably be checking here for some ideas.

(the YJ intellegently placed under some very sturdy pine trees is also mine, stay away Ivan!)
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bezel that goes around the vents/radio/climate controls is held on with clips at the corners. You should be able to grab it and pull it right off...just don't "King Kong" it. I usually grip it by the bottom corners and pull firmly up and forward. Once it's off, you'll see how easy it is to get at the radio.

The welds in the seat frame have broken. XJ are notroius for it. If you try to get a new seat from the dealer you are looking at around a grand (see "stealership"). Your best bet will be to either:

1) Pull the seat out, take it apart and have the frame welded (or if you have a welder, do it your self). It's not too difficult to take it out and disassemble it, but I would suggest picking up a factory service manual...it shows you how the whole assembly comes apart.

2) Find one at a junk yard...you can then either swap the frame into your seat or just drop the seat in place and buy some seat covers.

(FYI - What I did was get a seat from a junkyard for $50. Then I swapped in the seat frame and welded up the old one...so I have a spare.)

As for the console...you got it, just tighen the screws. Smile

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigEyedFish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the help, phantum.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve pretty much said it all.....

If there is anything else you would like to know - Just ask!!!

See the TECH forum for lots of write-ups on the XJ.

Good having you Fish - CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: