Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE 3.5" lift and SYE's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: RE 3.5" lift and SYE's Reply with quote

Have finally decided that I want to go ahead and put a RE 3.5" Super Flex lift on my 2001 TJ.

I have heard a lot of comments referring to the knocking and vibrations from lifting a TJ beyond the three inches that is caused by the extreme angle the universal joints must work at now. I believe, I would rather go ahead and put a CV joint or SYE in realizing that the joint is already at it's maximum useable angle. I also think this would allow me to keep my skid and tranny in it's present location, right? Does this seem prudent or am I just wasting my money?

I have heard comments too that not many people have seen the harmonic balanced rear drive shaft I seem to have acquired with my jeep. Will this feature be lost in the lift during the adding of the SYE?

RE offers two types of SYE's (RE 1811 & RE 1807) and while I can kind of understand how the standard one (1811) works, I can't figure out what the flange does for a CV. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Am new to all this so if my questions seem weird sorry but I want to understand the whole process and how one item relates to the other before I rush out and spend money on something I really don't have to have. I WOULD however like to keep the tranny up and not lower it 1 " after a 3.5" lift. Have even considered a "Tummy Tuck" too. That may be in the future though.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll lose the harmonic balancer. Any TJ from around 2000 or so and later has the harmonic balancer. I don't know who told you they were rare.

Don't bother spending the extra money on the RE SYE. My suggestion since the product came out, has been to go directly to the JBConversions SuperShorty SYE. It's 2.5" shorty than the standard length HD SYE. This means 2.5" more driveshaft for even better angles and less vibes with taller lifts. It's about $100 more than the standard length SYEs, but I think the extra length is worth it. I wish they would have had the SuperShorty out when I bought mine.

Also, do the lift install. Do the SYE install. Then measure and order the driveshaft made for your Jeep. You always hear people say every Jeep is different when it comes to whether they'll get vibes with this combo or that setup. Some people do, some people don't. My point is that just like in that situation, every Jeep is different and you don't want a driveshaft that's from a cookie cutter setup that some guys says will work fine. Do it right and have it custom made.

I already know the next question also. Where can I get it for the best deal? I believe I paid $450 for my Advance Adapters SYE and Tom Wood's CV shaft from DC4WD (www.dc4wd.com for contact info). That was one of the best deals I could find at the time.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. Wink
I'm looking at the new JB Conversions super short (or whatever they're calling it) SYE. They have a package deal that includes a driveshaft for ~$540 total.
edit: I believe you give them the demensions after installing the sye. If not, go with the Tom Woods shaft. You'll get the gold seal u-joints.
http://www.jbconversions.com/images/popup/2004.01.04.jpg
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done, no real issues except I ordered the 4.5" lift with 3.5" springs and they shipped the 4.5" anyway. Installed the longer springs, now the with has trouble getting in. Kinda hurt her feeling.

The SYE was a worrybut it went without a hitch and we left the transfer case mounted in the Jeep. DO GET a large set of "C" clip removers first!
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. What size tires are ya gonna go with since ya ended up keeping the 4.5" coils?
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

33" s I'm afraid. Until I can find a way to please the wife I'm sticking with the 31's.
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.W. Vehicle wrote:
Until I can find a way to please the wife

i think this is something you should have figured out before you married her, but may i suggest candles scented massage oils and barry white Very Happy

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your uses for the rig gonna be with the lift? If you don't believe you're going bigger than 33s (if you can get them by the lady), I would give RE a call and ask them to switch the coils with 3.5" ones.. You'll get much better stability, especially while sticking with the 31s. The 3.5s still run at about 4" tall, even after 35K on them...
tanner2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.W. Vehicle wrote:
It's done, no real issues except I ordered the 4.5" lift with 3.5" springs and they shipped the 4.5" anyway. Installed the longer springs, now the with has trouble getting in. Kinda hurt her feeling.

The SYE was a worrybut it went without a hitch and we left the transfer case mounted in the Jeep. DO GET a large set of "C" clip removers first!

Quote:
="What are your uses for the rig gonna be with the lift? If you don't believe you're going bigger than 33s (if you can get them by the lady), I would give RE a call and ask them to switch the coils with 3.5" ones.. You'll get much better stability, especially while sticking with the 31s. The 3.5s still run at about 4" tall, even after 35K on them

My question and not to get off topic. Is RE going to swap out the coils with you? Are you going to keep the 41/2"? If not, could I buy them from you.

Tanner2
rcw0124@satx.rr.com
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanner2,

So far I have lived with the springs. The fault was mine on the order, not RE.

Think I will try the 33" tires with the 4.5" lift before I switch to the 3.5" if I need too at all.

The little lady seems to be getting used to the fact that that's the way it is.
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Ridr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.W. Vehicle wrote:

You can put an SYE in without removing the transfer case ??
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridr wrote:
You can put an SYE in without removing the transfer case ??

Yes. I recommend leaving it in the vehicle if you've lifted your Jeep a bit. There's plenty of clearance underneath. The time spent removing and installing the t-case could be better spent just installing the SYE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: