Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dash Lights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Dash Lights Reply with quote

OK, so I have had my 91 XJ for a few months now and the no matter what I try, I can't get my dash lights to work. I mean none of them, the gauge lights, the heat/ac cotrol lights, and the lights in the shifter. Basicly at night I am blind without some other means of lighting. The buy I bought it from lied and said that it was just a fuse that recently blew. Well that was a bunch of crap. Every fuse I put in blows. So I then thought that it was my gauges, but when I pulled them out and turned the lights on the fuse still blew. So then my buddy told me to replace the head light witch. That did not help ever. This really sucks and I am tired of being blimd at night. Does any one have any other possible solutions?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the radio out and make sure the dimmer wire for the radio isn't loose touching metal, especially if aftermarket or if you think it's been switched. Just an idea. Who knows it could be loose??

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like a short somewhere in the dash. Sounds like you'll have to start tracing wires.
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, that is what the guy at the jeep dealer said. I was just hoping that someone know of something else before I started ripping everting out.
nedkelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does the fuse blow? Does it blow when you put on the side lights or does it blow when the main headlights are switched on? Without a decent elctrical diagram it will be a case of isolating sections at a time by disconnecting systems in groups. Has there been any auxillary equipment fitted and if so has somebody used the lighting circuit fuse as protection. In this case the fuse is probably too weak for the added equipment. If you have a good relay map you could isolate certain areas by removing the associated relay and then turning your lights on. Does the fuse blow with the ignition off and the parking lights on?
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_D_platform_(RWD)]D platform (RWD)[/URL]

Last edited by nedkelly on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse blows a couple of seconds after I pull the switch to the first or second position. I also have a CC that does not work. I was told that it probably runs off of the same circut. I also have a Keyless entry installed and some aux lighting, but they are run throught a second fuse box. I have tried to put a stonger fuse in; first I tried a 10, that blew, so then I tried a 15. The lights all worked for mabey 15-20 seconds and then blew the fuse for the side lights and left the 15 that I put in along, but all of my lights still went out. I did not dare put a stonger fews in the side light slot in fear that it would burn something up.
nedkelly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT go putting in stronger fuses as they are designed to protect a specific current rating. You have to remember that the wiring in your vehicle is also rated and if you put too strong a fuse in then the wiring will act like a small electrical heater and fire is a possibility. I am still unsure about whether or not your ignition is ON or OFF when you pull the light switch. I ask this so as to know if the problem lies purely with the lighting circuit or if there is something else that has power that is contributing to the short circuit. You may have to start isolating the harnesses in the lighting circuit but will need a good factory diagram to get it right. Could start with the main headlight circuits first as they should be easiest to isolate. The problem area will be isolating the interior lighting circuit as thes include the lighting in the instrument pod and cigarette lighter and 4 wheel drive selector and radio etc etc. Isolate all auxillary stuff first and try your lights in the first position only. If your fuse is blowing when you pull the light switch to position 1 only then you can discount the main lighting circuit and concentarate on the parking light and interior light circuits. Good Luck and have patience, these faults are always the worst to find but look on the bright side they also teach you the most Smile
________
homemade vaporizers
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: