Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a possible friendly warning...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Just a possible friendly warning... Reply with quote

This is referring to the whole TC thing and how everyone has been saying that you can drive it still when it's bad...
Wrong. I drove mine, and it apparently locked up so bad that it ripped my front differencial to pieces. Maybe it was just mine, just a special case or something, but I would recomend getting that sucker swapped out as soon as possible.
I'm facing a $600 fee for my front end, as well as probably about another $200 for the TC...
Life goes on.... Sad
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the first time I have heard of that happening...

But look at the bright side... Dont spend $600 on another ZJ axle.. Upgrade to an XJ axle .. It bolts right in and its much stronger and U JOint instead of CV's... While you are at it .. Grab an XJ case and you are set... Smile

Sorry about your luck.. And thanks for posting for the others...

It is always a possibilty for a part that is broken to collapse.. But I would be willing to bet that if you opened your case you had more probs than the VC..
maybe the chain snapped or something but like I said the VC's fail mode is locked which only affects you in turns because you are fulltime 4wd anyway..

But anyway.. If you are going to pull the T case anyway may as well swap in a 242 or 231.. Its very simple .. If you need any advice on it feel free to ask.. I have swapped 3 T -cases in mine and 4 for other people..Mr. Green

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the offer to help with advice and stuff.
I actually had a guy I know rebuild my axle for me, it was a little cheaper that way, besides I'm a little pressed for time these days..
He called a few places around the area to see about TCases, and found 3. 1st was $400, 2nd was $350, and 3rd was $450.. I'm hoping maybe those were prices for them to pull em off and get them for you.. I'll have to call myself to see about getting one a bit cheaper than that.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pullled my own 242 t case and paid $100 then when I wanted to upgrade again I pulled a 231D and I paid $200 for that.. .But the yards here are plentiful... Very Happy
Good luck with your rig..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im very happy for you. im glad yours are plentiful, CUZ OURS ARENT! Rolling Eyes (im from kansas)
seriously, I pulled out the huge phone book for the whole area, and called every single stinkin salvage yard in the whole 2 1/2 pages of ads...
i found: 4

2 of them, they wanted $500 for!!
i had to settle for a $350 that has about 65k mi on it and it seems to be in pretty good shape. 30 day warranty.

Haven't started into it yet, but I just wondered why its necessary to chalk the wheels? ive actually been driving mine for 2 days without the front drive shaft on, cuz the front of my tcase is completely locked out..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that sucks.. For that price you could almost have bought one here and shipped it there...

Good luck with the swap.. let me know if you need any help..

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: