Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swap completed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
forexfour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Swap completed Reply with quote

We started the swap from a 249 to a 231 t-case on my 97 GCL awd. We had it completed pretty quick but did have to open and close it a few times to get it all set properly. We put it in once and had to remove it due a pc in upside down. Changed the Mechanical speed sensor out for the electronic one from the old case, it works perfect. The pc that has the vacuum hook ups we just left on, it has no purpose now. Once we finally got it all in right and started to test it out there was a little gringing noise. We had started at 7 pm and it was now 1230 AM so we had no time to really mess with it any more. I had to be at work at 7 and it was still an hours drive home. Craig let me use a loaner from his shop and he a Kevin came back on Saturday to pull it back out and check it out. It seems the planetary gears that we use from the 249 were not good so they put the original set back in and through it back in and it works great. The out put tranny seal was replaced due to it leaking and it was all back together and ready to go when I got over there Saturday at about 1PM. They got the shifter to hook up with a minor mod and it shift perfectly. Nothing is leaking now and 2wd is great again!
We took it out to Hollister on Sunday and Kevin and I both flexed the piss out of them. Video to follow soon. The only bad part to the swap was I for got the Video camera so now how to video out of this but I wanted to do one. I am very happy with it now and hope the 231 holds up til I can get a better t-case but for the $200.00 for all the stuff and to get the AWD off it was worth it.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out for you. good mod
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool... Glad everything came together...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andyoet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: 231 Reply with quote

i had the same problem with the grinding
it grinds when i drive and when i try to put it in 4 by 4
would a bad planetary cause this
forexfour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seemed to be our problem. We used the planetary gears out of the 249 we pulled and put them in the 231. Well after swapping it back and putting the original Planetary gears from the 231 back in the 231 it was fine.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard about different pitches in the gears but never got a specific answer on what year or so forth.. I am sure all the inners for the inputs are the same but maybe the outside of the planetary set has different pitch..
Might try using the original planets with the 249 sun (input) Let me know what year cases yours where so I can make a note of that..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: