Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintenance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cinnamon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Maintenance? Reply with quote

I've got a Liberty that just hit 25,000 miles. I'm trying to figure out what maintenance it actually needs. The book doesn't say much on this, and my auto shop is telling me that I need to have my differential done and possibly my transmission. It runs great right now. I'm not very knowledgeable on what needs to be done when. Embarassed Can anybody tell me what work I really should have done?

Thanks! Cool
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy it new?

My 04 Unlimited came with a pretty detailed service manual with the work that should be done at each interval.
Cinnamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get it new 3 years ago, however the service manual doesn't list many things for the 25,000 mark. But my dealer is telling me that I need the differential done and a couple other things. I'm just looking for a guideline on what really should be done.

Thanks! Very Happy
Cinnamon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good thread I found on other owners opinions: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105311

Thanks! Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25,000 is kind of an oddball mileage - usually manuals call for major service at 30,000 mile increments. It depends on how you use it. There's usually something like service A which is normal driving and service B which is heavy duty use like offroad/stop and go driving. I usually follow the B plan because I'm a little more rough on my vehicles and I'd rather invest a little time and effort now instead of fixing stuff later on.

I'd avoid the dealership unless you have a service contract - most of their stuff is typically a rip-off.
Renegade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about 30,000 miles our Libby's differential (which hadn't been serviced yet) started to make quite a bit of noise. After a few more thousand miles it sounded like it could to fall apart any minute. We had it serviced and it's never been better. Apparemtly the friction modifier in the gear oil breaks down after so long and doesn't allow the clutches to slip properly. So I think this is one thing that can't be overlooked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Liberty Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: