Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axle Upgrades for My XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyhicj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Axle Upgrades for My XJ Reply with quote

Well, I got rid of my cj and am now starting a buildup of an xj. I got it wrecked with 50k miles. The passenger side b-pillar is smashed in but it still drives fine and has no other problems.

automatic, 4.0 litre, i believe it's an se model.

The plans for this vehicle so far are chopping the roof, full exo-skeloton, and a big lift.

I'm looking to upgrade the axles and can't really find too much info on the front axle. I want to try and go dana 44's front and rear. I know that the 44 is found in the rear on 87-89 xj's, but was it ever available in the front, and if so what years?

What is everyone else using up front for axles if the dana 44 is as easy a swap as i hope?

I plan on swapping in a small block chevy, 700r4 tranny, and haven't really decided on a transfer case yet.

any help is appreciated, and i will have pics after this weekend when i get back home to take some pictures.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stock D44 in the front of an XJ is the HP44 found in the South American XJs. I only know of 1 person who has these 44s in the States and he imported them himself after a business trip to South America.

Swapping the HP D30 from an XJ into TJs is actually a pretty popular swap. I actually just completed the swap into my TJ. The HP30 is estimated to be about 30% stronger than the LP D30 found in TJs due to using the drive side of the ring gear.

It sounds like you're building a nice offroad only toy. What are the vehicle laws like in your state? Or are you going to be trailering it everywhere? If the laws are pretty lax or you've got a tow rig, I'd be looking at going full width with some axles from a fullsize pickup. I know the late 70s F-150s and F-250s are popular donors. The F-150s have a D44 front with a 9" rear. I'm not sure what the 250s run.
skyhicj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this vehicle will be a mildly street driven off road machine. I'm from VA, the home of the more vehicle laws than any other state. I had been thinking of swapping some axles out of something bigger, but if I was going to go that route it would involve a 3/4 ton truck. I'm hoping to find something to swap in from another jeep that would be somewhat easy to swap. What are the top suggestions for the front axle swap on an xj that would be the strongest and easiest to swap?

If I go the alternate route, I have a set of dana 60's that I would like to swap in, but that would involve building 2 4 links, and messing around with more suspension geometry than I'm wanting to touch right now. I'm also saving the dana 60's for a hybrid vehicle i'm working on (cj7 tub on a 73 f-100 truck, 460 big block, over 15" of lift, ready to be sitting on 44's.)

While I'm trying to get this offroad toy finished I'm also busy building up my 93 chevy fullsize that right now is fully shaved, with a 5/6 drop, soon to be a 4 inch body drop, 3 inch section, and a 434 small block, along with a full airbag suspension. I've got a lot on my plate right now and am really looking for something that would be easy to build up and fun to drive.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't anything stronger that's easy to bolt in. You run into a lot of work with the brackets required for the 5-link suspension. The only easy bolt in axles would be the HP44 from South American if you could come across one (but I would guess it's got the D30 knuckles, outer C's, and outer stubs) and a Rubicon D44, which is more money than it's worth having the low pinion.

Anything else will require lots of welding for the bracketry, and the brackets run about $400 to buy them. I would not suggest reusing the old brackets....the stock ones are weak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: