Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saggy Leaf Springs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beauwoods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: saggy Leaf Springs Reply with quote

my leaf springs on my 92 Laredo have some negative arch. Can anyone give me some ideas on what costs are? and possibly some manufacturers?
I have two kids and a misses who thinks I should go over board on my "toys" so I guess I cant really beef her up to much without missing out on some lovin for a while Smile
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a cheap fix would be to swap in a couple of Dakota or S-10 springs Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether or not you want to lift it or not and how much money you have to spend. A Dakota or S10 swap is cheap...but yer gonna have to compensate the front end for the added lift in the rear. You can pick up a set of new stockers from quadratec for around $70 each (Guesstimate...their site is down right now). I'm sure if you shop around you could get a better price.

...plus there's always the junkyard. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skyhicj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much of a lift do the S-10 springs provide? Are there any other springs that will swap in and give a larger lift? I was reading in the grand cherokee forum and saw some of the same s-10 springs mentioned.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7925947088&category=33584&sspagename=WDVW

OEM Springs sitting at $27.00

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyhicj wrote:
how much of a lift do the S-10 springs provide? Are there any other springs that will swap in and give a larger lift? I was reading in the grand cherokee forum and saw some of the same s-10 springs mentioned.

Phantum will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you'll get about 3 inches from S-10 springs. Stock ZJ coils in the front will make it level front and back.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close....it's correct you will get about 3" from S10 or Durango leaf springs as they are sprung under the axle on those vehicles (XJ are sprung over the axle).

But ZJ coils will only net you about an inch or so over stock, so you would still need 2" coil spacers to make up the difference in the front.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 3-4" out of it, depends on the springs you can snag Mr. Green
skyhicj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year s-10's should i hunt for? I'm going to the junkyard next week to get the d44 i spotted in an 87 cherokee, and i'll pick up the s-10 springs while i'm there.
acrid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just did a dakota pack install last week, and i'm sittin at 5 inches with extended shackle. it was a rusty's 405 kit that was sagging. took about 8 hours as i had to change the pack 3 times to get it right. make sure you drop the xj completely to check ride height. it's time consuming but i found that using all but the main leaf (with the overload) and a 2 degree shim with a 1" tranny drop was just right without pulling my slip sleeve too far out of the yoke. 24" hub to bottom of rear flare going vertical. front was already at 23 1/2, so it worked well for me.

if you ditch the overload and the 3rd leaf, you might get what you're lookin for, and be able to upgrade your lift for free in the future... i added new u-bolts 1/2 diam. as well, ran me 26.00 from a spring shop up here in portland.

without shackles i'd say 3-4 was right, if you use all 3 leafs besides the main.

a word of advice, the dakota springs have a larger diameter spring bolt eye, so i had to drill out the main xj to fit and used allen bolts with the heads worked down to fit the spring perches, worked perfect, besides having to clamp and then slide bolt through... i also broke a bit when i slipped and angled the drill in the main leaf (on the xj). i was a real pain in the @zz. make sure you use a real sharp bit and don't slip like i did, 3 hours to push out the locked bit... i had to use a bolt and washers through the u-bolt spring plate and then used four clamps to "push" out the bit, i was lucky i didn't crack anything. i initially used 2 clamps and bent both of them.... damn it was really stuck good. ended up using a vise and 3 clamps on the other side to push out the bit....

i had previously disassembled the dakota packs and brushed them downon a wire wheel with my drill motor. use a vise, it'll be easy. just the surface crud, as hammerite bonds to rust, won't hurt to leave some on. then baked the springs in a oven for 2 hours at 300 to help cure. dried in basement for 3 days and been driving on them for a week with no chips or noticable wear. don't forget spring clips about $1 a piece. i used 4 on each side. main and next for 2 and main and next 2 for two... hope that makes sense, i was trying to eliminate droop as i still have a slip sleeve and don't have a cv sye setup yet.

don't know about the spring bolt eye size on the s-10, good luck...

total install was $126.00

2 '97 dakota leafs.... 84
4 1/2" diam u-bolts 2 15/16 arch 3 inch clean 4 inch threaded..... 26
2 2 1/2x4 2 degree shims.... already had
2 allen head bolts about 5 inches long.... 2 9/16 grade 8 nuts @ 6
2 cans hammerite black paint @10
1/3 c marine grease (for inbetween the leafs) yes i reused the zinc sliders.

gas for parts pick up @ $5

not bad for a first.... made it to work the next day, no driveline issues...

hope all this helps, just got a digi camera 4 x-mas, so i'll post some pics for y'all next weekend.. oh ya i've got a LOT of gear in the rear and she hasn't sank yet. still sittin at 5".

acrid. Wink

oh ya---------- here's some links...
http://www.geocities.com/xj88driver/cherokeedodgesprings.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
http://xjfanatic.com/dakotaleaves.php
'94 xj 4d w- '97 4.0HO 5 speed ax15 dana 30 c8.25 ar767 15's 31" bfg MT's TBS 1", 62mm TB K&N cone flwmstr exhaust. 5" homebrew 1/2 rusty's (f) 1/2 dakota packs (r) 2d shim 2" tranny drop wilderness r-rack full spare hi-jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: