Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a YJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew_m

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Buying a YJ Reply with quote

Hi, I don't know much about Jeeps, and I have never owned one.
I am looking at a 1990 YJ that has 109,000 KM on it. I4 5spd 4X4.
It's in pretty good shape from what I can tell, and the dealer wants $5300 CDN

It has no rust, but a couple spots where paint has chipped, a hard top, diamond plate on the rear corners, and oversize tires on alloy rims. The centre console has been removed, but other than that the interior is in pretty good shape(Perfect Seats, one rip in the carpet). My concern with it is that some wires are not connected to anything, there are a couple under the hood, and a bunch under the dashboard that are just hanging there. The dealer "claims" that they aren't connected to anything because Jeep used the same wireing harness on all trim levels, and if some options are missing then the wires don't need to be connected. Is this BS? Is there a way to cover the underside of the dash, so that the wires are all tucked away?

Also it seems VERY drafty under the dashboard around my feet, is this common? Is there an easy fix?

For the price the dealer is going to fix the weather stripping on the driver's door, install a centre console, and safety it. Does anybody think this is a good deal? Also what should I look out for on this vehicle?

Thanks[/b]
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after doing some conversions, you are looking at about $4200 USD. I went to www.kbb.com and filled in basic info, and they are claiming the base retail price in my area for that is around $4900 USD, so you wouldn't be doing too badly. Not sure if there is a kelley blue book equivalent for canada... You could also check out online auto auctions, etc.

Good Luck!
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... That price seems a bit high.

a 90 will not be fuel injected, they had carbs till 91. An I4 is not really desireable, especially for a carbed engine.

Have the dealer pull the plate at the corners. A lot of times people use them to hide rust.

The stock console sucks anyway, get a tuffy instead. The wires seem kinda wierd. You keep saying dealer- are they an actual Jeep dealer?

If the firewall seal has been punctured then you will feel a bit of draft. My feet get really hot when the engine has been running for a while. Only happens on the driver's side though.

My best advice is to find someone that you know that owns a jeep and take them along with you. Or post some pictures here.

My personal opinion is to skip it. Carbs suck offroad, the price seems too high, it's only a 4 banger and there may be some rust that is hiding there. It's a 14 year old canadian vehicle with no rust damage? sounds hinky.

Let us know if you need any more help.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
andrew_m

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There are no plates on it, and no rust where they go.
2. Are there any centre consoles that you recommend to get if I want to get one from a Junkyard?
3. How do you fix the firewall seal? Silicone?
4. I don't really want the jeep for offroad use, so wouldn't a I4 be better for fuel economy than an I6?

The guy that is selling it is a Mechanic, but also deals with some used cars. He sells mainly Jeeps, and some older muscle cars also. He says that has sold 18 Jeeps this summer alone.

I'll try to take some pics today.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a discussion about buying a YJ a while back - here's some of the stuff we decided on. The plates are the diamond plate corners you mentioned in your first post. And I can tell you from experience that you won't notice any worthwhile difference in mileage between the 4 and the 6 cyl. Wink
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
And I can tell you from experience that you won't notice any worthwhile difference in mileage between the 4 and the 6 cyl. Wink

Well said, but you WILL notice a difference in performance betwee the two.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drewguere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4 banger gets worse mileage on the highway because it is at such a high rpm, and they tend not to last as long. I would skip on it. Look into something a little newer 92-96 maybe, with an I6. And try looking into an actual jeep dealership too, even if you dont buy one there, you will be a little better informed.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure all of the I-4 YJ's were fuel injected i dunno maybe im on crack

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
I was pretty sure all of the I-4 YJ's were fuel injected i dunno maybe im on crack

All pre 91's I4's were fuel injected, but through the throttle body. MPI came along in 91.

But that does not deny the fact that you are on crack.

Back from the Dead??
Gwelsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well see the thing about jeeps is the rust easy and usually a 1990 jeep is rusted by now so i would have someone go with you that knew a bit about cars and check the floor to see if it's rusted and well $5300 that is a lot of money to pay for a jeep you can get a better deal then that somewhere else
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punctuation helps.
skidmark

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To much money for a I4, take your time and shop around. If you are patient you could find a I6 for that price.You will have more performance on the highway and the same gas milage.
Nicole'sYJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check e-bay, they have some decent jeeps believe it or not. Thats were I got my first Jeep (a 91 2.5L 5 spd.) I cried for two weeks after I crashed it Embarassed Mr. Green NOW I have a 90 YJ Laredo (4.2L auto <--- Rolling Eyes no fun) and The Carb sucks! Sad Im in the proccess of replacing that sorry sorry piece of machinery w/ an MC 2100 (that I got off e-bay Mr. Green ) not to mention all of its other problems pissed
So take it from me, DO NOT be too hasty in your decision...unless you REALLY are in love with it, go with a 91 or newer. Good Luck to you Wink
Nicolle
wsharpman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well lets start by this, first off yj (unlike tj's etc) are not as prone to rust due to the fact that the tub is galvenized. Cool But in the situation of that amount of money its not worth it my opinion here is best price to offer for that yj would be in the 3k range, especially since it has a lot of missing parts and if I understand is a 4 banger. to make the long story short "pass on that one"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: