Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got any Ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
telam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Got any Ideas? Reply with quote

K, (New to these forums...), anyway, Just bought a 95 YJ with the 5" coil conversion kit fro explorer procomp. Has on board air and 35's. Couple a rocklights, GOOD home brew skidders (I know who made them!), a home brew front bumper that is so-so and a bumper/tire carrier (I forget who's). Besides the horrible wiring and rigging, (oh and it has a xd 9000 warn winch!!!!!!) What should I do with this thing's suspension?
Procomp? oh come on man! BUt I don't fancy the idea of going back to the leaf spring. And the kit is bolt on so that is gonna have to be fixed. I also have future plans of swapping in a rear ford 8.8 and a front from a f-150/250 for the locking hubs. I live in the south country so they are in abundance. Anybody got any ideas to upgrade the suspension or ways to mod it when I do the swap to improve this Heep? pun intended.
As to what I use it for..... I am GONNA KRAWL!!!! it is totally a toy.
telam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah.... it has the 4cyl... I have a grand with the 5.2 so I am gonna drag the 4cyl until I buy a truck big enough to tow and then swap the v8 into the yj...
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something wrong with the coil conversin kit - other than being ProComp? You might want to keep it and build better control arms for it . Nothing wrong with the 4 cyl if you're just gonna play with it and not try to drive it down the freeway - especially with large tires going uphill.
Unless you're going to narrow that front axle, you might want to pick up a 9" to match it for the rear.
telam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your last statement I think you are refering to the fact that the 8.8 is 5/8 inch shorter on each side? What makes you think that would matter? I ask out of curiosity because this will be my first axle swap and I know NOTHING. any advice would be helpful...
As to why I picked the 8.8, its cheaper..... and the 9" is alot of weight for the 4cyl.
I do plan to drive it on the highway, I can't afford a trailer yet and I worry about the Grand being able to tow the YJ. (It has the towing package but I swapped out 249 for a 231 with the SYE kit)
telam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah as to the kit... I have heard A BUNCH of things about their kits in grands and TJ's. Besides that the bolt on aspect of the kit has the rear spring perches rolling away from center. I think I can fix this when I do the axle swaps with welded perches centered on the axles. BUt like I said.... I am ignant of suspension dynamics and such.
I also know that you can get better and taller springs and am worried that because I have this kit any time I want to go taller or improve the ride it will be totally custom. Of course when I have more knowledge this won't be a down side, it will be an upside. I am hoping to gain more knowledge from anyone that has suggestions and warnings.
I think I covered every thing......hmmmm
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Explorer 8.8 is 3/4" total more narrow than a TJ rear axle. How that compares to a YJ rear, I don't know.

If you want the 8.8, get one out of a fullsize F-150 and it'll match the width of the front better. However, while I don't know the weights exactly, but I would think the 9" would weigh less since it doesn't have the big cast iron differential.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen anywhere from 175-200 lbs for the 9" - not sure how much the 8.8 weighs. I think what Chuck is saying is that if you're going to swap in a Dana 60 etc from an F250, it'll be quite a bit wider than the 8.8 unless you narrow it. Wink
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of the popular 8.8 swap out of and Explorer and the full-width of the front from an F-150. Just didn't seem right to me. You are correct in wanting the rear axle a little narrower than the front for tracking reasons.
As far as the lift, I've had 4" ProComp coils before and loved them. A little stiffer on the road - made for good handling purposes - but flexed nicely off-road.
You're probably going to end up going custom no matter which way you go with that thing. Especially once you drop the large engine in it.
Are you going to drive it or pull it on the highway? Low gears and the 4 banger will get you there. You'll want low gears for crawling anyway.
telam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to tow in the near future. Till then I'm driv'in it. Thought about getting the front and rear of a late seventy/early eighty Bronco and swapping them both in from the same donor. THat should net everything I want. And yeah the more I think about it the more I WANT a custom suspension and what not. I was complaining about the coil 'cause of the weakness of the rear assembly. My spring is bowed out because the perch has rotated on the axle housing.

Where could I get the stats on a proper suspension set up? or atleast learn what I need to know to build this thing right? I am thinking of welding centered spring perches on the top of the leaf spring perches on the axles then using adjustable control arms to center and set the axles.
What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: