Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new xj owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
935speedxj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: new xj owner Reply with quote

what mods should i do to make my rig worthy offroad but keepin it stock hight for now? it is a 5 speed man an is 4 wheel drive with the 4.0 im makin home made discos right now an replacein all my anti swaybar bushings front an rear an getting skyjacker shocks an stablizer Finger
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Jeep Horizons.

I have a stock 98. My wish not including the 35's and 8 inch lift...back to reality...includes a front tow point (tow hooks or a hitch mount) and armor underneath (transfer case, engine and diffs). I have home made discos, rear hitch, and 30 inch BFG A/T's on stock wheels. The armor is a must, I have a rumble in the Cat Converter after a few run ins with some baby rocks, that wouldn't have happened if I had the skid plates. 30's are what you can run without too much rub, I rub on the LCA's at full steering lock, no rub on the fenders at full stuff.
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: thanks for the reply boss Reply with quote

armor is in mind an im in the process of making front disco's
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what your wheeling experiance is...but if you have not wheeled that much, finish those discos, get a little armor and wheel it like you stole it. You'll be surprised what a stock XJ can do.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

i removed all my old front swaybar bushings an replaced em w/new ones but im not sure if i should use my cleavis pins on the bottom or the stock bolts that are stuck in there( i beat the crap out of em an they didnt budge) Shocked i broke one of the bolts that hold the bushing to the subframe an it was a pita to get out but i saved the threads but now im driving around with out my swaybar on till i can decide what to do ( keep the old bolts in or use the clevas pins) let me know whats best guys i dont want a whole lot of clankin from em either thanks ~ phil ??? kick
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was drill out the stock bolts and used the cleavis pins there. Dale (majikxms), on the other hand left the stock bolts there and just put the wing nuts on. Either way will work, but the cleavis pins come out quicker. If you use them, you'll need to keep an eye on the pins...they will wear out and need to be replaced periodically.

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

i think ill go with the stock atleast for now so i dont have to keep as a close of an eye on it an may just switch over down the line when i get a lift an speakin of lifts what would you reccomend with a lower budget as mine an dont have the money to put 5 grand into the lift an all..? Confused id love to get a 8 inch rock ready kit for it but no mola..... pissed but upto 3 inches is what i heard that you dont have to change anything else out is this true?ive seen 2 inch lift from rough country on ebay for 135 is that average? lift shackles ( rear) coil spacers ( front) or what should i get to be beter off? with stoke height what tire size should i go with for both street an trail? an when id get a lift what sizes are good? ect.... i got 235/75/r15's on the jeep now they look ok.. Crying or Very sad an thanks for the feed back on this it helps out alot ~ phil
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to XJ Budget Boosts 101. Wink

With respect to the rear, there are basically 3 different types:
Lift blocks - Blocks (usually steel or aluminum) that go between the spring and the axle. Bad idea. It's the leading cause of axle wrap (leaf spring turning into an "S"). Of corse this is the least expensive option.

AAL (Add A Leaf) - It's just that, and additional leaf that you add to the pack. The pros: failrly cheap and failry easy to install. The cons: the ride can be a little harsh and the AAL will sag after some time.

Extended Shackle - Again, it's just that. The pros: cheap, failrly easy to install and stock ride is maintained. The cons: the longer shackle will allow the spring to flex a little more. It's great for offroad articulation...but the pack will wear out a lot quicker, resulting in sag.

On my BB I went with extended shackles and 30"x9.5" tires. As of now however, my rear springs are completly worn out and inverted. Confused

For tire size/amount of lift check this out. It'll give you a basic idea.

As a general rule, you should be good up to 3"...but you should be prepared to have to do a t-case drop. XJ's can be tricky when it comes to vibes. You can put 4" of lift on some with no problems. But there were some that had mad vibes when being driven off the lot brand new...especially 00 and 01's with the upcountry suspension package (factory 1" lift).

Between $110 and $135 is average for a BB kit...but remember, that does not include shocks. Kits that come with shocks (like the RE kit) run around $200.

Quote:
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many miles did the leafs last till they inverted?mine got 103k on the od. you do alot of off roading or little? im just wondering because i dont want to have to replace em soon after i get the little lift on if so ill leave it stock till i can get a rock ready kit an yea she does kick azz on the trail stock i got 235/75/r15's on it an everything is stock except the discos an swaybar bushings an thank you for the feed back ~ phil
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine inverted in about 25- 30k miles...I do beat the crap out of it offroad though. I've got plans to fix it this winter as well as prevent it from happening again...stay tuned for that.

Quote:
935speedxj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got a very loud banging noise comming mainly fron the rearend ( i think) when i hit holes or bumps im not sure if it is my shocks ( seein that they look like the factory ones from 93' eeek ) or something else maybe the barpins? any help on this mater? an i am looking to put on 0-3 inch adjustable skyjacker shocks or should i stick with the stock height Confused ? i am looking at about 200 - 220 usd for all four an the front stearing stablizer .. is that bad ?thanks all ~ phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: