Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 Jeep Cherokee XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: 1985 Jeep Cherokee XJ Reply with quote

Are they worth anything?? I found a 85 with the 2.8, 50,000 on a NEW motor, 4wd works, a/c needs a charge, but still works?? 200,000 on the body Sad But still looks decent, price you ask a whole $700 bucks for me Very Happy What do you think for Kristys 1st XJ?? Like the looks, be better with a new paint job I could give her?? Down falls, bad things?? Thanks, Vic

Edit- Oh its has a select trac lever 4wd?? Then the regular grab bar selector??

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure about problems with that vintage, but I'm all about cheap deals like that. You can swap out the engine for a Chevy 3.4 or go big and see if you can fit a V8 in it. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 V6 eh? It's prolly got the Torqueflight 3 spd auto in it too. I don't know much about that engine or tranny...but it's nothing a small block Chevy and a TH 400 (or TH700R) can't fix. Wink

That transfer case is prolly the NP228 or 229...the old select track does not have a 2wd option...it's 4 hi (full time)- neutral and 4 lo (part time)...just something to think about.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the select trac switch is right behind the trans shifter and goes side to side from 2WD-4WD and then the regular lever we have has the Full HI Part HI and LOW.
jeep_driven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's to my mom's 1985 jeep wagnr, we (my little bro and me) got hoked on the jeep thing. I an '89 limited, him a 90 also limited.
Her was the same model and engine as here described, 2.8 select track with a air vacum that switched fro 2wd to 4w and the H and L option.
cons. the system had a lot of problems, when driving in 4wd at any range some times it would dissengage leaving us stranded in the middle of the dune or on a trail. Took it to the 4wd shop, never got it rigth, lot of money spent with not very good results.
We opted to leave it as is. over all it was a very dependeble method of transportation. VERY VERY SLOW, no high speeds for these ones.
for a firts timer it just what the doctor order...
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: