Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

I am runnin 10w30 right now for the summer in my 95 yj 2.5l and am gettin up to an oil change. I am going to be runnin 5w30 for the winter but when is a good time to change it? Would it be a bad idea for me to put the 5w in there now? It's hit the mid 30's at night and I don't drive a lot. I just don't want to put it in too early.

on a side note...is the 5 or 10 thicker? I know that one of the numbers is for viscosity but what's the other for? The more info the better. Tell me about oil please Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both indicate viscosity...the first number is cold temp viscosity and the second is operating temp viscosity.

So 5W-30 motor oil is thinner when cold and thickens up as it gets warm.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use synthetic 5w-40 year round without problems. And you want to know about oil? Well here ya go. We'll use 5W-40 as an example. The W stands for the winter rating of the oil. Basically, on your standard oil, polymers are added to the base oil to get it to flow at low temperatures. When the oil is cold, the polymers allow the oil to flow at the lower value (5). As the oil warms, the polymers unwind allowing the oil to thin to the properties of the higher value (40). However, the less polymers in an oil, the better as it's the oil that you want protecting your engine, not the polymers.
In the winter, you should choose an oil with a base oil (the first number) rated for the coldest temperature you expect and in the summer, choose a base for the highest temperature you expect (15W-50 isn't unusual in Africa.)
Synthetic oil typically has different properties and has a wider temperature span without the use of the polymers.
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting. thanks guys.

i am using Castrol GTX high mileage 10W30 for the summer and am going to use the same but 5 for the winter. sounds like that should work well for the cold temps considering the info you guys gave. also sounds llike I wont have any trouble at all with puttin it in now too. I am prolly gonna do this in the very near future.

I like this kind of info. I am a dstrong believer in having more info than you really need. what you don't know costs you money.... Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should have put up a disclaimer that you need some oil for cold weather.

Have you tried axle grease? I'm thinking that it would work great at the temperatures up there.

Seriously though, I have been using the synthetic blend 10W30 available at Wal-mart [in the red jug]. It's $7 or so for 5 qts. I run it in my Heep and my Rover and have been pretty happy with it.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nikon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qadhafi wrote:
You really should have put up a disclaimer that you need some oil for cold weather.

Have you tried axle grease? I'm thinking that it would work great at the temperatures up there.

Seriously though, I have been using the synthetic blend 10W30 available at Wal-mart [in the red jug]. It's $7 or so for 5 qts. I run it in my Heep and my Rover and have been pretty happy with it.

i use syn in my bike but wasn't going to use it in the heep. should i re-think that? I ran it in my passat cause of the turbo and heating up even after running and I use it in the bike for extra heat and I try to run the best in her anyway. Why run syn in the heep?
FM2CDJC Member #10

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use synthetic in all the vehicles taking up space in front of my house. Wink
Some of synthetic oil's benefits are that they don't have some of the contaminants and compounds which naturally occur in conventional oil. Typically, synth will run cooler, have a wider operating range (temperature-wise) at the same oil weight a little bit better MPG and you can extend your drain intervals.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't they use synthetic oil to produce gas? Sorry this just got me thinking about the outrageous gas prices

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Nazis used mostly synthetic gas during WWII because there are no petroleum sources in Germany. They used coal to produce a lower octane gas. When Patton overextended his supply line, the allied armor used the synthetic gasoline from the captured Nazi vehicles. For about 20 years after the war, we experimented with synthetic gasoline made from either coal or coke. After that, the South Africans made a ton of synthetic gas from coal. You see the common thread though? It's all made out of coal which won't last forever either. Plus, it seems like I read that the process is more costly than refining crude oil.
And then there's biodiesel. I've run a few tank-fulls in my truck. No problems but I've heard that it gels at a warmer temperature than regular diesel. The 2005 KJ's are even coming with it from the factory. Clicky
Anyway, get back to school and become a chemist so you can figure out a way to make cheap synthetic gasoline so I'm not paying ~$2.50 a gallon. And that's your history lesson for the day. Wink
nikon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you learn something new everyday Finger
FM2CDJC Member #10

nikon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Clicky
. Wink

that's the coolest KJ i've seen Mr. Green
FM2CDJC Member #10

majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning is cool, didn't know that about the Synthetic Gas. $2.50 a gallon sucks. I thought it was bad when I went to Ohio this past weekend and paid $2.05.

nikon wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:
Clicky
. Wink

that's the coolest KJ i've seen Mr. Green

That is a cool KJ.

Last edited by majikxms on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think that I'll concetrate on my field that way I can make my own money and gas wont be a problem for me. But Troy, I might be able to hire you one day Mr. Green Wink

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Mr. Green
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd drive it

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: