Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalibrating speedometer??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellowjeep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Recalibrating speedometer?? Reply with quote

I am a newbe here, I have been lurking for about a month and have decided to join up and see if I can get some help with a few questions.

My girlfriend and I just purchased a 2004 Rubicon (our first Jeep) and I noticed in the first week while on a trip that the speedo is off when compared to my GPS unit. It reads higher than actual, by about 10%. Is this normal for the Rubicon since it has larger tires than the "stock" Wranglers? I would have thought the engineers would have taken that into consideration when designing it, but me being a mechanic, I know the engineers hardly ever consider anything about the after effects of their design.

Is it possible to recalibrate it, I haven't even been under it enough yet to know whether the speedo is mechanical (gear driven) or electronic.

Any help is appreciated. I have gotten alot of good info from my lurking and already have a lift and a few others mods in the works.

Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most vehicles read faster than actual travel speed. I reasons it's either to indiscretely run out your warranty faster or maybe get people to slow down a bit since it reads faster than you're really travelling.

Either way, most people with Rubicons say the speedo is almost exactly correct compared to GPS when running 33" tires.

Also, what's the error range for your GPS?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the Rubicon specifically, but when I went from a 28.5" tire to a 30" tire on the XJ it corrected my speedometer. Perfect sync with my GPS.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...I just might be, but I believe the Rubicons did away with the speedo gear and are fully electronic now.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...I just might be, but I believe the Rubicons did away with the speedo gear and are fully electronic now.

Correct. The dealer can recalibrate for larger tires or lower gears. Or you could install one of those fancy electronic calibration things. Superlift makes one. Dakota Digital makes one too.
yellowjeep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

Either way, most people with Rubicons say the speedo is almost exactly correct compared to GPS when running 33" tires.

Also, what's the error range for your GPS?

I don't know what the error range of the GPS is, but I would assume it is more accurate than the speedo. Maybe not...

Thanks for the tips. I guess after the lift and 33's I will be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: