Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranfer case shifter knocking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhr0812

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: tranfer case shifter knocking Reply with quote

2000 SE with 30k. start off in 1 st gear and get a rattle/chatter right under the stick shift. it appears when there is a load applied, or going over a bump at low speed. its kind of a low, thump, thump, in rapid succession and then it's go away.

Last edited by rhr0812 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like maybe a throughout bearing, is it coming from the tranny or the T-case? If its the T-case, it might be the chain, just some thoughts.
JaySea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you by any chance have a body lift, or transfer case lowering kit, sometimes when these are installed it causes the transfer case linkage to come out of its bracket which makes it bang on your floorboard...annoying sound. take a look under your jeep from the front of the transfer case skid on the drivers side. look towards the back of the vehicle, right along the frame rail is where this transfer case bracket is make sure yours is still connected. Even if you dont have either of these things installed on your jeep i'd still take a look under there could solve your problem quick and easily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thing happening with mine, If I figure it out, and I think that Jaysea is right about that. If you move the tcase lever, it should go away (but will come back once you let go). If you found a fix, let me know.
Demetri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just hopped under it. If you look, there is a mount there that holds the main output linkage from the interior shifter. The mount is mounted to the frame, or body, cant remember, it was cold out:). Anyway, there is a replacable (at least it appears to be) bushing there that holds a horizontal piivoting rod. When I jiggle that, it replicates the exact rattle that I am getting. I am not sure how much the part is but shouldn't be that bad to fix...doens't seem to be a huge deal either. just annoying as hell, and anyone that rides with ya is always ,you better get that fixed, sounds like it's falling apart:) HOPE this helps
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about my TC Lever and I figured this was a good thread to post it in...

Before my lift install, I would be moving on an incline, and be able to shift into 4HI. After my lift install, I slowed down and stopped on an incline, and it would "pop" into the 4HI position, but the light wouldn't come on. We drove up the hill some to a level area, and tried again. This time, it popped into 4HI, and the light came on. Today I tried it, and it "popped" in, but it didn't show up in the dash, so I tried pulling it a little farther towards N and the light came on...do I have a problem, or should I just adjust to this?

If I do have a problem, what is an easy fix? (If there is one.) Confused

TIA,
Stephen

(BTW, sorry for the bump, I'm still getting used to this forum...I frequented JeepForum, and am in the process of switching over, still kind of hard to catch everything.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rattling your discribing is exactly what i had and the fix was an easy $40 at the dealership, i was not able to find any after market fixes.
the part is just a new brass bushing for the rod to pass through but now they give you a spring loaded rubber boot to protect it from the elements.
[img]http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jrichard2244/detail?.dir=e075&.dnm=ab4fre2.jpg&.src=ph][/img]
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another try with the pic

canuck4welr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe now

quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great picture! i've seen/heard that issue on many jeeps and i think that should be a good fix for others in the future.
chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: