Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on what you would buy 99 vs 02

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Advice on what you would buy 99 vs 02 Reply with quote

I'm looking at two Jeeps, a 99 Wrangler Sahara with the 3 speed automatic(60K), and a 2002 Wrangler sport 5 speed manual(20K). Both come with hard and soft tops. Both vehicles are in excellent condition.

Is there that big of a difference between the 99's and and 02's in performance and reliability. What is the difference in gas mileage between the 3 speed auto and the 5 speed manual. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy the 3-spd auto if you do a fair amount of more of highway driving. Without the overdrive of the newer 4-spd, the RPMs are high and mileage low on the highway.

However, autos are really nice offroad. Much smoother than a stick.

What's the price difference?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, lets have the prices on them.

There isnt realy a lot different between the two, just some model differences and model year changes, which from the 99 to 02 were fairly minor ones. Generally the Sahara seats are a little nicer, but I wouldnt let that decide which one to get.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 02 Sport, both tops excellent condition is at $16000.00

Have not gotten a solid price on the 99 Sahara, but I believe it will be in the $11000.00 range.
The biggest hangup with the 99 is that 3sp auto, I do a fair amount of traveling. Also didn't know what improvements took place between the 99 and 02 in ride, noise, and of course in 2000 the distributerless ignition.

Also thought an option on the 99 if bought at good enough price was to look for an 03 4sp tran to stick in, have seen a couple on ebay.

Thanks for the feedback, the more the better..........TW
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also didn't know what improvements took place between the 99 and 02 in ride, noise, and of course in 2000 the distributerless ignition.

With respect to ride and noise between a 99 and 02, the ride will be the same. If the 02 have a sailcloth soft top, it will be significantly quicker. However, the 99 could have an aftermarket sailcloth soft top also. Other than that, there really isn't much difference.

Quote:
Also thought an option on the 99 if bought at good enough price was to look for an 03 4sp tran to stick in, have seen a couple on ebay.

I think this is a bad idea when looking at the work and money likely involved in doing the swap.

You heard my opinion before about the 3-speed auto. I would get the 5-speed over a 3-speed anyday.
TW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous owner made a similar statement about the 3 speed auto and it was one of the reasons he traded this jeep in. His next jeep will have the 5 speed instead. If I was just using it for around town, offroad and short trips it would not be a big deal, but this vehicle will be on the road some, I will be holding out for the manual.......TW
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: