Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspension Questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
telam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Suspension Questions... Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not a mechanic, or a genius. Though sometimes I think they, like being nuts, are often similar. However... I want to swap an axle or two underneath my 95 YJ. Yes I shade tree by the way and if time is not a factor I am very good at it. If time is not a factor..... anyway, The guy that owned it before me lifted it with procomps coil conversion kit. I've written about this jeep before. The reason I am writting again is that I am faced with a complete lack of knowledge when it comes to suspensions and I was wondering where I might gain this knowledge and what books I should read. THere is a guy in my local area that built his suspension on his jeep himself twice and kept the total cost under $1000. Since the suspension is already changed I wanted to keep it coil sprung. Do to the job I can spend vast more amounts of time doing homework on the project than actual work. Which sucks. So where do I learn the how-to of custom building a suspension?
My hands are cramping.......
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really believe I would custom build anything in your case. I recall some issues where the current brackets in your kit were bolt-on. I would just get them reinforced and welded on and call it a day.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coil over YJ, you should be fine. I can't see the reason why you want to tweak it. Maybe it rides like crap, I don't know. For the guy that built his under $1000 there are many quality lift kits that you can get under $1000 even installed that will be a lot better and safer than what most people can make.

My Morning Jacket
telam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some kits for less than a thousand and I like the idea based on my skill level. Next question.... How about buying a tj kit and adapting it? with the procomp kit I already have the perches for the springs and I dont think it would be any probplem to use the kit as a guide to install the control arm brackets..
No it doesn't ride bad. I am replacing the d35c with a ford 8.8 and figured it would be a good time to take a bolt on kit that will loosen in time and weld it up tight. Try to make at least the base of the kit last longer so I enjoy more wheeling. The d35c is really the only thing holding me back from major wheeling. Tired of breaking axles...
anyway, what do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: