Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubicon LWB or SWB ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_SD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Rubicon LWB or SWB ? Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a Wrangler wich one would be the best to get. Should i go with the Rubicon Long Wheel bed or do the short wheel bed. Or is it better to go with the unlimted at a cheaper price ?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you use it for and how much can you afford? Do you need a little additional storage and back seat foot room? Ehirner has an Unlimited and I'm sure he'll give you some feedback on his. welcome
chachy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree, I was looking at the unlimiteds a couple of months ago, but saw that the only advantage for me was the increased storage space. The thing that I don't like is that the rear seat is only 2" further back than the short wheelbase, and it is not adjustable to move back any further. It would have been nice if Jeep let us utilize the space for either more leg room or storage. That is just my opinion though, it might workout perfect for what you want.
Peter_SD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really care about the extra storage space. If that is the only thing going for it i will get the swb one. i am going to use it for transportation and off roading. I have a jeep grand cheerokee if i need to use extra space. Also a mustang cobra if i need to go fast
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ride is remarkably smoother in the LWB and the extra sound deadening in the Unlimited makes them significantly more quiet on the highway.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Other than that, it's more or less personal preference based on the appearance.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelbase can also make a difference for offroad depending on the terrain and obstacles you see. Some trails are suited better for LWB vehicles and some give a SWB vehicle the advantage. Not necessarily something that would show up in the average consumer comparison of the two models, but it can make a difference. Before people had to sacrifice the open top Jeep's if they wanted a significantly longer wheelbase (unless they were gonna be chopping and extending the SWB's), now ya have an option of a soft top and short or long.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to tow heavier trailers comes to mind. This is not a need of mine as I have a pickup and Tahoe. On a pure hill climb, I believe a longer wheelbase vehical has an advantage as it has better distribution of wieght, but the ability to manuver tight spaces, and sharp turns gives the Jeep a huge advantage. Contrary to what many believe, on pure hill climbing in soil, not rocks, a narrower mudgrip will beat a wide tire every time. Been there, done that with 4 by 4 pickups over the years.
Peter_SD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info i am going to order the Rubicon this morning getting the swb . They dont have the color with the options that i am looking for around me. So i am having one built.
Peter_SD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i got my Rubicon. It is the swb one in patriot blue. Love it
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_SD wrote:
OK i got my Rubicon. It is the swb one in patriot blue. Love it

Congrats....the Rubicons are a lot of fun off road.

Let the mods commence! Wink

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TJgirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pics of the new rubi would sure be nice!!
alexman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: lwb Reply with quote

i just traded my 04 swb rubicon for an 05 lwb rubicon and i would never go back to swb. it handles and rides like a totaly different vehicle. not to mention how quiet it is. The space is great and to be honest the 100 inch wheel base seems to be alot more stable off road. 90% of the time so far the stability of the longer wheel base has been more of an advantage than any disadvantage. I have run into situations where it would have been nice to be more manuverable but even on the tightest trails it has been far more rarer than situations where i needed lwb. my opinion is the lwb is superior and i have owned both. Sun rider top is great too. Btw you can get lwb in dual top now. that wasn't an option last year. a lwb with a hard top is so ugly i almost don't want it. I will be totally honest though. No matter what angle i look at my lwb the swb was 100% better looking. Lwb is fighting a loosing ugly battle
picksnsticks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've been driving a 95 jeep wrangler YJ for the past ten years and loved it. But it's a senior citizen now and though I did'nt get rid of it because they are really timeless, I bought a 2004 rubicon. I feel I got a good deal on it. All of the 2005 models were going for around $30,000 or more. But because this was the last brand new 2004 model, I got it for $25,900. Anyways what's done is done and I love it. My Rubicon is the swb model which I'm used to. I've never drove the lwb model. But what I don't know won't matter because I,m very content with what I have. It drives so much smoother than my YJ. Looking forward to the snow to melt so i can get up in the Sierra's. Take care everybody.
alexman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after having both the swb and the lwb honestly the only advantage is the sapce. the lwb is quite a bit quieter and smoother and since i have a family now all of that is nice but i think in reality the swb was better off road. the lwb seems to me to be a family version of the swb and nothing more. it does have some stability advantages but like i said in rality the swb is a better off road machine. you will find the lwb has a tendancy to bash the 5 inches that are sticking out on alot of things. for certain the lwb has more tendancy to get stuck in the middle and most of all you don't have the maneuverability with more wheel base. for me. my jeep is not my second car toy and i am not a single guy. my jeep is my everyday driver that i have to put a new born baby in. i need to put my tools in. i need it to be my truck and i need to put 4 people and luggage in it. i plan on driving my lwb rubicon as my daily driver for the next 20 years. honestly if the deal had not been good though i would have never traded. i traded in a swb rubicon on a lwb rubicon and left with a SMALLER!!!!!!!!! payment. I was super happy with my swb. and many times i miss it. as far as 04 versus 05. if you have an automatic there is not a dimes worth of difference. as a 15 year veteran master tech who looked both of them over from one end to another yes there are differences but none of them effect anything. if you have a manual then there is an obvious difference. with a 6 speed 05 if i ever put 35" tires on i will never never never have to change gears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: