Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GC Vibrations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: GC Vibrations Reply with quote

Greetings all. I don't know much about auto mechanics, but I own a '99 4WD GC and have a question. Over the past 12 months or so, I've noticed that at highway speeds, there is a significant amount of cabin noise and vibration in the floorboard. I thought this may be related to the snow tires that came on the Jeep when I purchased it, and knew the tires needed replacing.

A few weeks ago, I replaced the tires with new Michelin Cross-Terrain P245/70R tires, which according to GC owners at tirerack.com are great tires. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help. Traction is better, but noise and vibration still there.

Once you hit about 60mph, it starts to get pretty loud and you can really feel pressure and vibration in the floorboard. When you let off the accelerator, the vibration gets worse momentarily when coasting.

The engine is currently running flawlessly, so I can't imagine it's something with the engine, especially b/c when dropping it into neutral and coasting at 65mph, the noise and vibration doesn't cease.

I'm thinking of taking it to the shop, but given my lack of knowledge, they could tell me the flux capacitor needing a new engine belt and I'd probably buy it.

Does anyone here have any advice for a fellow Jeep owner? It didn't always do this !! Thanks in advance!

Ryan
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the hell of it get under it and wobble the front drive shaft and make sure all the control arms are tight.. Might also check tranny mounts and any rubber parts that you can see .. Any of them could allow vibration to travel thru the body if worn..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JimGuy100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

error4324

Last edited by JimGuy100 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeepers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After not coming up with anything myself, I picked up a mechanic friend of a friend for lunch on Friday. After he drove it for about 2 miles, he came to the conclusion it's something very abnormal and it's off to the shop tomorrow. He is thinking something in the differential, but is going to check it out with the stethoscope tomorrow. Will let you know the damage tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hey Carl, I'm up in Monroe and wondering if it's ever going to cool off this year!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly isnt cooling off any here....

Its 90 degrees right now.. 2 in the afternoon on holloween day... Rolling Eyes

Damn Louisiana... Mr. Green Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeepers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up having to replace the front left wheel bearing. It was the source of all the roaring. Now it's so damn quiet I can barely hear the engine. All I can hear is the GC driveline whine Smile

Thanks everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: